-=PCTechTalk=- Re: BroadBand Routers

  • From: David F Wooledge <wooledge001@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 03:28:25 -0500

From: "David J. Weaver" <weaverdj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- BroadBand Routers
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 06:58:33 -0500

Well, H*** has finally froze over and the devil is off skiing at St.
Moritz.
I say this with the utmost authority as:

I'm finally getting broadband digital cable internet access.  Over three
years of being told "next month", the appointment is now set for next
Wednesday.  Time to get rid of the old satellite.  Yeah!

Which brings me to a poll type question.

What type of Routers do you like.  I'm leaning toward a Dlink or a
Linksys.
However I'm open to Siemens, or even Cisco (if they make one for home
use).
I would like wired and wireless (this will be shutdown for the time
being)
nodes, and a print server.  It must also be able to bark, roll over, and
play dead, and not mind being called "FIDO".  Okay that last part is also
optional (you'll have to forgive me I'm in a good mood).

Let me know your opinions, and why.  Facts would be good, steeped in
practical hands on use.

Dave Weaver

Hi Dave Weaver
I would recommend a switch instead of a router.  The router will send the
signal to all computers on the network.  The switch will  send the signal
only to the computer that is supposed to get it. This is supposed to be
faster and harder for crackers to get in.  I use a Belkin F5D5130-5.
bought it from Gateway online. I just plugged the Modem into it (it
doesn't matter which port), then I plugged the ethernet cables from the
ethernet ports on the 3 computers I wanted to network into ports on the
switch.  Plugged the power pack into the switch and then into the wall,
turned on the computers and there every thing was.  I had no software I
had to setup although there was a software disk that came with the
switch.  I use it with DSL, but the info said it works with cable
broadband too. I still have an extra port so I am considering getting a
ire less switch too and use it for the laptop when it is not docked and
the Dell XP tower upstairs.  I hate pulling wire so I have not connected
the Dell to the network yet.  We use sneaker still!! It could be used for
the printer, although maybe I would need to run the software.  I have the
printer connected to the Tower  I always leave on and have it shared so
the other systems can print on it.  Guess I forgot to mention I did need
to set the files I want to share on each system to share.
Dave
By the Way, I used to live near a town, Hell, Michigan and believe me it
freezes over every winter.