-=PCTechTalk=- Re: AVG uninstall problem.

  • From: Beverly Hahn <bhahn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 21:32:23 -0400

Don,
Thanks for the additional information.  Since I sometimes need local
hands-on help from the computer store, I believe I'll take the
information you gave me before along with this and see if they can come
up with something comparable--price-wise and component-wise before I go
to Wal-Mart.  If I were more knowledgeable, I'd go to Wal-Mart in a flash.
Thanks again.
Beverly
> If you did well with Win98 you are one of a very very very rare breed.
> I liked it better than I do Vista but it was a very unstable OS that
> constantly needed rebooting.  A BSOD every few hours (or even every few
> minutes) was not unusual.
>
> XP will be supported for some time to come, though I don't know for sure
> how long since M$ changes their mind quite frequently about such
> things.  98 has not been supported for quite a while.  If it has been
> good to you for this long, then XP will be even better for at least as
> long.  Even after M$ ends their support.
>
> Vista (and Windows 7) is vastly different from 98... like a whole new
> galaxy.  XP is just a neighboring moon in comparison.  I think a long
> time 98 user will do much better in XP than in Vista or Win 7.  Too many
> "look and feel" changes were made simply to have changes made they could
> brag about.  Many of those changes have no useful or functional
> improvements over what was in XP.  But they do *look* pretty.
>
> If you have any peripherals that you want to keep for you new computer,
> then you will likely do better with XP because anything old enough to
> have drivers for Win98 is too old to have drivers for Vista or Win7.
>
> Don
>
> Beverly Hahn wrote:
>
>> Don,
>> Thanks.  I've heard good things about XP, but how long do they usually
>> support an OS?  It seems like I did pretty well with 98se.
>>
>> Beverly
>>

>>> Beverly,
>>>
>>> No worry about Vista!  Walmart is now getting eMachines with a 20"
>>> monitor and ***Windows XP*** for only $398.
>>>
>>> A similar model with Vista but no monitor is $298.
>>>
>>> Neither of these will win the Indy 500 the end of this month but they
>>> are very suitable for a large number of consumers who don't need high
>>> performance levels for gaming or corporate spreadsheets.
>>>
>>> Don
>>>
>>> Beverly Hahn wrote:

in the Subject.