-=PCTechTalk=- Myst - Riven---Long winded

  • From: "Sammi" <sammi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 15:19:46 -0600

Hi,

Thanks to all who suggested the One Touch 500 GB external hd dr AND for the
recommendations of the 2 GB memory I now have. I have not had a PrtScn error
since and I am happily backing up my files. Also keeping the Windows/Temp
file cleaned out.

But now I have another problem that is certainly not earthshaking, but I'd
like to know how to get 2 programs to install.

   XP Home SP3, P4, 2 GB RAM, 75 GB free space on the hard drive, 3 GHz
processor.

   When I was looking through my old computer storage boxes for the cables
for my Memorex CD RW, I came across my CDs for Myst, Myst Masterpiece, Riven
(on CD) and Myst III Exile. I had not played these since I had W98. I was
really looking forward to running the Myst Masterpiece Edition again.

   I installed the Myst Masterpiece Edition, and it appeared that it was
working well, sound and images (movies). I didn't stay with it for very long
since I wanted to install the others. I don't remember which options I chose
with the install. BUT...after my attempts to install Riven, now Myst
Masterpiece won't run, I can hear sound but only the properly colored
pointing hand for directionality shows. No other images (movies) show like
it did when I first installed it. Probably because I changed something with
QuickTime when I was fighting with Riven's install.

   After I installed Riven neither Riven nor Myst Masterpiece, would work at
all, I went off in search of forums or groups who might have info on what
needs to be done. I did find several, some recommended patches as well as
QuickTime fiddlings. I have messed around for over 2 days trying to figure
out
how to run Riven.

   At one point I decided to just accept the option for installing Riven's
QT needs, but when the program goes through the directory structure, it
always finds some file that causes a 'blah blah has experienced a problem &
needs to close'. At first I would find the files that caused this, and
zip them up, then deleted the folder. But it seemed like it would just find
another file to complain about. I even tried installing it on my new One
Touch drive, but it found an archived file it didn't like there, too.

   I discovered that it need 3 specific files inside the Riven folder and I
was
able to find 2 of the 3 needed, *except* for DHIO32.qtc.

   Uninstalled and reinstalled. Changed the properties for Program
Compatibility. Installed and uninstalled different versions of QT. My
grandson has installed his iPod files on this pc, and of course, it uses QT
also. Paint Shop Pro X1 must use QT also, because after messing with the QT
files, when I would open PSP it would show a window saying that the QT files
needed updating.

   Myst III Exile installed well, and seems to be fine. Although I have not
run it very much because I wanted to go through the other 2 games first.

   I am hoping that there are some Myst/Riven gurus here who may have
figured out how to go about this. I have kept notes on the various patches,
suggestions that I found from the web sites and forums.

   I am thinking now that I might have to uninstall any and all QT setups on
this pc, that's scary. And also uninstall all of the Myst/Riven games. I'll
have to start all over with the game installations, but that would be OK.
The uninstall and reinstall part is not scary except knowing for sure what
options to choose.

   And if I uninstall QT and lose my grandson's iPod program, he'll be
upset--LOL. Maybe I can figure out a way to keep his play lists etc.

   I know there is a Riven DVD that supposedly runs on XP, but I would like
to be able to use the games I have already paid for if possible.

Thanks for any help and suggestions you guys may know about,
Sammi