-=PCTechTalk=- Micro$oft does it again... only worse this time:

  • From: <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 11:47:22 -0500

I took my "Access Denied" question to HP tech support.  Here is the results so
far.  I have done some minor cutting and snipping to maintain continuity and
delete unnecessary text.
Side note:  My call to tech support took over 90 minutes for them to tell me
they did not know the answer.

Don

-----Original Message----- (submitted via webpage email form)
From: dswabc@xxxxxxxxx
Date: 12/29/2008 22:11:54 EST
To: HP Support
Subject: HP Pavilion a6650f Desktop PC e-mail support

hp e-mail support
Webform submittal date/time : 30 December 2008 03:12:44 UTC
language_code : en
language : English
Country of Residence : United States
product_line : 6J
product_oid : 3794769
product_name : HP Pavilion a6650f Desktop PC
part_number : FK791AA,FK791AAR
purchase month : 11
purchase year : 2008
problem area : other
serial number : mxu12345678
operating system : Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64

problem description :

I open Windows Explorer.

It defaults to open Documents folder, and it expands to show all the
sub-folders

I then click to open the video sub folder. Access is denied.

I see at the top of the folder pane Documents, Pictures and Music but not
Videos. Click on More. Still no Videos?

So I goback down the folder tree to Documents and try to open the Videos sub
folder again. Access is still denied.

Since it is under the Documents folder I try navigating to C:\Documents and
Settings\UserName\Documents\Videos.

I can't navigatethere. I can't even open Documents and Settings. Access Denied.

All of this is done within an Administrator account.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************

From: dswabc@xxxxxxxxx
Date: 12/30/2008 01:42:17 EST
To: pavilion_support_en@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you, but the problem is not opening a file but opening a folder to see
what is in the it. Here it is again:

I open Windows Explorer.

It defaults to the Documents folder, and it expands to show all the sub-folders

I then click to open the video sub-FOLDER. Access is denied.

I see at the top of the folder pane Documents, Pictures and Music but not
Videos. Click on More. Still no Videos?

So I go back down the folder tree to Documents and try to open the Videos sub
folder again. Access is still denied.

Since it is under the Documents folder I try navigating to C:\Documents and
Settings\UserName\Documents\Videos.

I can't navigate there. I can't even open Documents and Settings. Access
Denied.

All of this is done within anAdministrator account.

I am beginning to suspect that this is some sort of "feature" that is a part of
Vista since your telephone support staff didn't know the answer and offered to
email the answer when (if?) they find one.