-=PCTechTalk=- How to get messages you SEND into folders when using OE

  • From: <TechRose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 15:32:48 -0700

Hi all,=20

I 'think' I have found a possible solution for being able to sort mail =
you send to others and put them in the folders you want them to go to.   =
The set up, like any message rule, takes a bit of time and =
concentrating..but it worked for me.

OK...I kept reading these messages.... and kept thinking..there has to =
be a way.. and one that works.....=20

Here is what I did..as an experiment..and I had to go back and tinker =
with this a few times.... but..it worked.
-------

I do think OE was set to have message rules apply to Incoming and NOT =
Outgoing mail.  But, I also do believe..where there is a will, there is =
a way...lol!  You just have to figure out how to 'lie' to the =
program..or make it think what is sees is what it wants....lol!
-------

First.. I think you have to include yourself on the BCC line of the mail =
you are sending.  This way it IS coming into your Inbox.

Now that the mail is coming into your Inbox...OE is ready to deal with =
it.
-------

Now you have to decide what mail sent to whom you want to go where.  =
(Boy is that a legit sentence?  lol!)

For example..I set a Rule:  Mail from me to Jerry

I selected:
    Where the mail is from People AND
    Where the mail is TO People.

Then I said..=20
    Send to a specified Folder.. which I created first.  ( I already had =
a folder for Jerry so I did not have to create this one. If I did not =
have one already, I would have created it before setting the rule...just =
cause...that is how I do stuff...lol!)

Now in the bottom part of message rules...in the space for Mail is FROM =
people, I put in all my email addresses.... all the addresses from which =
I send mail to Jerry.  But, for other places..such as lists like this.. =
I only use one email address..as that is all  you can use.  (we won't go =
into exceptions here...but you know how to address them and if you need =
help... holler and I will try)

For Instance... Say I wanted all the mail I send to this list... to go =
to a "pctechtalk" folder.  (In the step above I would have created a =
pctechtalk folder)
In this step... I know I only use the address TechRose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx as =
my outgoing address... so that is the address I would put in the FROM =
address entry. (If you use some nickname for your account.. such as =
"TechRose - Uk" be sure to enter that into the from entry too!)

Now in the To People:

I would enter the pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx address..and if I was worried =
about typing it incorrectly, I could have used the address book option =
and selected that address. Again, if you use a nickname for someone... =
like... "PcTechList" then enter that too.

In the Send to Specified Folder:

I selected the "pctechtalk" folder.

Then I would press apply now and on the second screen too. =20

That moved mail I had sent into this list.. that I have sitting into my =
inbox into the appropriate folder.  To check if this works, first make =
sure there is mail to be moved...even if you have to create some.  Then, =
I would sort my inbox by the from name... then create and apply the =
message rule.  They should all move to the appropriate folder.  If they =
do not, look at what is left in the inbox..and see what is different.  =
The nickname for different folks or email addresses can be a bit tricky, =
but you can get it figured out and do it.  You may want to rethink how =
you assign nicknames....

This is a bit of work up front..but... it will work.

Next.. you have all this mail in your sent box..and it does not work =
from the sent box.... I have a trick for that too..but..it is best used =
if your inbox is empty.
If your inbox is not empty..create a folder and name it duplicate in box =
and move everything from your inbox into this duplicate in box.  You =
only have to do this once.. and when we are done..you can move it back.

Now that your inbox is empty.. smile and admire it.. I do not see that =
very often.. a neat clean inbox.... on purpose and not becuase I lost =
all my mail...lol!

Now.. select all the mail in your sent folders..and move them to your =
inbox.  Apply your rule.  It SHOULD (famous last words...lol!) work!

It did for me.....

When you are done with your rules..and applying them... move your sent =
mail back to the sent folder.
Move your inbox mail from the duplicate inbox folder into the inbox =
folder.

Now, when you send mail.. remember to include yourself as a reciepent.  =
Then, when the mail comes into the inbox..your message rules should put =
the mail where you want it to go.

There are some finese things you can do to make things work easier for =
you.  You just have to play with it.  For the example of sending mailing =
to this list.  I really do not have to bcc myself..as I will get this =
email and it will be from me and it will be to pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx =
 So I do not have to use the option that it is FROM me, unless I want to =
keep a folder of mail for this list that is ONLY from me.  Interesting =
concept.

So think about the yahoo lists that you belong to... and maybe msn =
groups.  I hope I have your minds stirred enough that all our file =
folders will be so neat and organized... we will shock ourselves....

Hope this works...

Hugs,
Rose