-=PCTechTalk=- Formatting Flash Drives

  • From: <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 17:12:40 -0400

I've seen what appears to be some conflicting information about formatting
flash drives.  This mostly centers on what (or whose) format utility to use and
whether to use FAT, FAT16, FAT32 or NTFS.
I'm interested because I have a 1GB Ativa brand drive that apparently has two
partitions.  One about 4MB and full of a U3 launcher and associated "stuff",
the other with the rest of the GB and about 10% used.

I would like to eliminate all data from both partitions and then install my own
portable apps launcher and RoboForm password manager in the small partition and
the applications in the large partition.

So, can I just delete everything without consequences?  Can I use Windows
Explorer>MyComputer>RightClick Drive Letter/Format to format the partitions?
Use any file system?  I suspect that FAT or FAT16 will be most practical for
compatibility purposes but I would rather use NTFS to get the small sectors and
save space on the drive.

If I wanted to get rid of the extra partition and have just a single drive what
utility should/could be used?

Side note:  I also have a 4GB SanDisk Flash Drive that is probably set up the
same and I will want to fix it also.