-=PCTechTalk=- Faulty router

  • From: "Justin Rocque" <darkjustice2600@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 23:14:50 -0400

Hi,

I have a few questions regarding my friends' router. First, he had this Dell
router for a few years then he decided to open the ports on it because he
was getting  slow web access (DSL) and a low id thing on Emule (p2p
program). A few days after that, it stopped working all together and, after
resetting it, it still didn't work. He then got a new Linksys wireless g
router and, after setting it up, opened the ports on that one also, which
then stopped working too after a day. After resetting that one too, it still
didn't work so he contacted Linksys and they said it's a faulty router. He
got another one, the same, but before he installs this one, he wants to know
if what he was doing messed up the routers. I don't think what he did could
mess them up hardware-wise but I'm not totally sure.

So, the questions are: did the things he did to it cause the routers to mess
up or were they faulty? If not, what could have caused them to mess up like
that? If so, how does just opening ports mess them up like that?

Thanks in advance,

Justin