-=PCTechTalk=- Disk Manager

  • From: "cajun12" <cajun12@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 21:29:18 -0500

My boot drive in a 80GB IDE drive.  Last year I installed a secondary =
drive, a 160GB SATA drive for added storage.  It's a Seagate and I ran =
the included Seagate CD to set it up.  Apparently I either selected the =
wrong thing during this process or it installed a Disk Manager software =
automatically.  Anyway, I'm just discovering that this is why I can't =
run my Partition Magic floppies.  I get this message:

Error #91, Disk Manager has been detected on Drive 1, but is not =
running.  If you booted from a floppy, remove the floppy and reboot.  =
Press and hold the Space Bar as computer starts.  When prompted, insert =
your boot floppy and continue.

Pressing and holding the Space Bar does nothing but get me to a Hardware =
Profile/Configuration Recovery Menu that shows only PROFILE 1, which =
goes directly to my Windows XP initialization.  It does not prompt me =
for a floppy.  I'm guessing that this is because there is no DOS prompt. =
=20

I've researched this error and found some solutions, one of which is =
pretty scary for me because I have NO experience with Disk Managers.  =
You can boot the PC, Press F8, select MS DOS prompt, and run PM 8 floppy =
from there.  This method is supposed to start the Disk manager software =
which should then allow PM to run.  The problem is, there is no DOS =
prompt under F8 because there is no DOS.  OR, you can create a boot disk =
that loads the Drive Manager.  This is my first experience with the =
Drive Manager software and I don't know how to start it.  Since I don't =
NEED this software but apparently it is now pointed to in my Master Boot =
Record, I can attempt to remove the Disk Manager Signature from the =
Master Boot Record with this command:  FDISK /CMPR (drive #).  I have =
read that it is not safe to do this if you have 4 or more partitions, =
and I do on my boot disk, so I'm afraid to try it.  I can also try to =
run my XP disk and clear the MBR with Fixmbr, but I'm wondering if this =
is the exact same thing as the last step I described. =20

I've emptied one of the partitions on my boot drive and want to disperse =
that free space over one or two of the other partitions.  I have the PM =
8 boot floppies, but I don't have the entire program.  I just want to =
use the floppies to delete one partition and move that space to other =
partitions.  Which leads me to another question - can this be done in =
Windows XP's Disk Manager?  I know I can delete the partition, but where =
will that free space go if I do?  I haven't found any articles yet that =
really explain that in depth. =20

My main question about the Disk Manager utility is which method can =
safely and easily get this out of my Master Boot Record?  I'm not sure =
what the drive limitation is on this machine, but my board is only 2 =
years old.  I have Award BIOS, Version F5 dated Jan. 31, 2005.  Yes, I =
know there is an update, but if it ain't broke, I don't fix it.

dj