-=PCTechTalk=- DVD burner problems

  • From: "Dolores" <dshelham@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 22:23:14 -0400

I am hoping someone can explain the logic to me or if there is no logic what
I am doing wrong.
My computer is a Compaq Presario AMD Sempron Processor 3100+ 1.81 GHz, 384
MB of Ram and running XP.  I just realized how little memory ram I have and
am going to have to see if I can add some.  The system came with a dvd
burner program - Sonic Digital Media.  I bought some dvd's for it (Sony
DVD+R 8X) at the same time I bought my computer and they seemed to burn
correctly at full 8 speed and acted the same as my cd's did when I used them
on my old computer.  Then I bought Playo DVD-R 8X that Staples assured me
would work but they will only burn at 4.5 I think it is.  Then half the time
after it goes through what appears to be the burning process, it will say a
successful burn and the other half say there was an error and to insert a
new disk.  So Staples had some Memorex DVD's on sale and again I asked if it
would work with my DVD burner, was assured it would and it didn't for I have
no reason why.  When I would try to burn it, a message would pop up saying I
needed to put a DVD-R 8X, DVD+R 8x, DVD-R 16X or DVD-+R 16X.  The dvd's were
16X DVD+.  Well, Staples was very good and took back the pack even though it
had been opened and one of the disks basically ruined.  Now I have Staples
Brand DVD-R 8X and again it only burns at 4.5, sometimes will burn
successfully and other times say there was an error and I should insert a
new disk.

The logic part comes in when I have saved a Sonic File of what I burned and
remove my external drive that I'm trying to back up from, it will tell me
files cannot be found.  If I leave the external drive on then it finds them.
Obviously that defeats the whole purpose of trying to do a back up.

I tried going to the Sonic website but could not find a solution in their
lists of most frequently asked questions except to tell me to buy a new DVD
burner :-(  I found a site where I downloaded Fresh Diagnosis but that only
seemed to tell me what was on my computer.  Are there any other free options
to find out if the burner itself is bad?

Sorry this is so long but wanted to make sure I put all the necessary
information in and what I had done so far.  Thanks.  Dolores

All outgoing mail scanned with Panda Titanium Anti-virus