-=PCTechTalk=- Autorun.inf revisited

  • From: Don <dswabc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 09:55:18 -0400

 Info:
16GB SanDisk thumb drive with all U3 features removed
RoboForm2Go (portable version of Roboform) installed to root directory
LupoPenSuite installed to \lupo directory
Portableapps installed to \portableapps
autorun.inf and portableapps.bat are present in the root directory

Situation:
On the HP desktop computer.  In Vista Home premium, I insert the thumb drive
and it uses autorun, launches the normal dialog window with "Launch
portableapps.bat" as first (default) option.  I click OK and the file runs
and every thing works as expected.  When I reboot to Vista the same thing
happens.  All well and good.

Reboot to XP Pro.  Insert the thumb drive and everything works as above.
Reboot with the drive still plugged in and and explorer opens with the \lupo
directory displayed.

Remove the drive and go to the laptop with XP MCE running, plug it in and
nothing happens.  No  launch dialog box.  No explorer window.  Nothing.

The autorun and batch files are below.  Can somebody please tell me what
drives these different behaviors and how to get the same action as in Vista
on the desktop to occur in XP Pro and XP MCE.  I renamed the autorun in the
\lupo folder to eliminate it as the cause.

Thanks,
Don

Autorun.inf file:

[AutoRun]
open=Portableapps.bat
action=Launch portableapps.bat
shell\cruzer16_2=Launch portableapps.bat
shell\cruzer16_2\command=Portableapps.bat
icon=cmd.exe
label=cruzer16_2

portableapps.bat file:

echo off