[pchelpers] Re: outside access/intrusion from Internet possible using NETBEUI?!

  • From: Scott McNay <wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Ekhart GEORGI (last name last)" <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 13:03:39 -0600

Hi Ekhart,

Saturday, February 12, 2005, 12:29:01 PM, you wrote:

EGlnl> I still have not had time to understand networking and protocols. When i
EGlnl> connected my computers using my ADSL Roadrunner ADSL Ethernet
EGlnl> modem/router last year, i decided to use the NETBEUI protocol because i
EGlnl> heard about the security problems many people unknowingly have due to
EGlnl> using the same protocol (TCP/IP) in their home network as the one that
EGlnl> is used over the Internet. As a result, i think i had to tell my
EGlnl> firewall to allow NETBEUI frames protocol nbf.sys Internet access in
EGlnl> order to enable my computers to recognise each other.

NETBEUI is a non-routable protocol.  The only way (that I know of) to
get a NETBEUI packet to another computer on the internet is to use a
VPN, to make it appear that both computers are on the same LOCAL
network.

I'll re-read your message more carefully later; working on a computer
right now.

--
Scott.