[pchelpers] interesting, helpful, and funny computer articles

  • From: "Ekhart GEORGI (last name last)" <ekhart.georgi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2004 15:05:37 +0300

I found many interesting, well-written (i.e. not geeky), and often funny
articles by the man who warned us about OE previewing even when the
preview pane is shut off. Here are some that i think you might like to
read too. Most of them are on his Web site
http://aroundcny.com/technofile/index.cfm
but he also writes for the Syracuse Post-Standard
www.syracuse.com/technology/

The most memorable sentence was this:
Windows has no built-in security whatsoever.

(In this context:
OS X Macs employ genuine Unix security, and no one can install anything
on an OS X computer without permission. (Windows users probably already
know that even the lowliest virus can install any sort of junk on any
Windows PC. Windows has no built-in security whatsoever.)
http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/mac050504.html)

http://aroundcny.com/technofile/windows.html
help with and info about Windows

http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/bit110100.html
The emperor has no clothes: What the Microsoft break-in really means

www.syracuse.com/technology/poststandard/index.ssf?/base/news-0/1085992565311631.xml
Q. Doctor, I think we are all getting tired of Windows. Since I
installed Windows 2000, there have been over 35 Microsoft updates and
one 130-megabyte service pack. That is on top of three service packs
that are on my Windows CD.

Enough is enough. Just fix it or throw it away. - M.V. via earthlink

A. The doc commends Microsoft for trying to fix problems with Windows,
even if it has to refix the fixes sometimes. But he wonders why
Microsoft has not yet recalled such a buggy operating system. Product
recalls should clearly apply to computer software.

http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/tec031702.html
Check out this tough competitor for Windows PCs

http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/mac050504.html
How to tell Windows users about Mac OS X computers

http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/tec020104.html
Do you have to put up with Windows viruses? You tell me

http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/mac012804.html
How do you spell 'virus'? Here's a clue: It starts with 'W' and ends
with pain

http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/mac091003.html
What if you switched to a Mac? What problems would you face?

http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/tec052304.html
New version of Microsoft Office is a knockout -- but it won't run on Windows