[pchelpers] Why I would prefer a web hosting service over running my own server (just posted on blog)

  • From: John Durham <john.modec@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 08:36:11 +1300

Most people who have a web site find it convenient to use a web server
outside their own home/office. I have one in house, set up for direct
access updating. My approach is to use a USB stick to store the updates
and just walk across the room, plug it in and upload the files directly.

This is fine for some, but the majority either don't have the interest
or the ability to maintain or set up such a system.

What's the alternative? Simple- look for a web hosting service on line
(preferably one that offers FTP access). FTP stands for File Transfer
Protocol. There a number of handy programs you can download for this,
such as "Cuteftp". In this case an FTP account is set up by your hosting
provider with a personal password for you. When you have created new
pages or updated existing ones,you simply bring up your FTP program,
connect with the server and send the files to it (being careful to put
them in the right directory and do any other tasks your host requires).
It's a convenient and efficient system, and the web server could be
anywhere in the world.
One other thing. Having your site set up this way may also have its
dangers. If the server has many clients, it is possible one or more may
misbehave and affect the reputation of the service. For example, while
you maintain your web files with integrity, another client could be
sending spam and thereby affecting the reputation of the server, and
possibly your reputation as well.

That's the good and the bad side of FTP server hosting. It's your
decision. Let it be a wise one!
--
Regards, John Durham <http://modecideas.com/contact.html?sig>
ICQ number 571215671   Fax/Phone 64 4 5286786