[pchelpers] Re: Switch to Ubuntu Linux succesful, stable and exciting.

  • From: Scott McNay <wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Lindsay <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 07:39:18 -0600

Hi Lindsay,

L> Uncle Bill is going to do that for the MS world later this year I'm
L> told, once he's worked out how the AV software he bought recently works.

Actually, it looks like he didn't buy an antivirus company; he bought
a company that does the front-end, and gets the actual engine from
other companies.  Perhaps that explains why I've never heard of the
company in question.

Here's the article that I read on it:

Microsoft to Purchase Sybari Software
   Microsoft announced today that it has signed a definitive agreement
to acquire Sybari Software, a New York-based company that develops
antivirus, antispam, and content-filtering technologies. The
acquisition will include all of Sybari's staff and technologies. Terms
of the deal haven't been disclosed.
   "This agreement reflects Microsoft's ongoing commitment to security
and is part of Microsoft's comprehensive approach to addressing
enterprise customers' security needs," a Microsoft representative told
me this morning. "Beyond technology innovation, this approach involves
consumer guidance and engagement, industry collaboration, and
cooperation with legislators and law enforcement."
   Microsoft is buying Sybari to bolster Microsoft's line-up of
enterprise-oriented security technologies and noted that it will use
Sybari technology as part of a "multiple-engine" approach to security.
Sybari's products are targeted exclusively to enterprises and large
businesses.

--
Scott.