[pchelpers] Re: I need some help please

  • From: "Bevan Edwards" <bevan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 11:22:02 +1300

Hi Jackie,

Well, you need to start by installing the networking components for Windows
first.  The instructions below are from my (deteriorating) memory with
Win98, I assume it will be very similar for WinME.

You need to open the Control Panel (Start, Settings, Control Panel) and
double-click on the Network applet.
You need to add the Client For Microsoft Networks and File And Print Sharing
clients.  You also need to add the TCP/IP protocol (or whichever one you are
going to use - I think TCP/IP is probably easiest to deal with).

You will be asked to configure the TCP/IP settings, in which case you want
one machine to be set have an IP address of 192.168.0.1 with a subnet mask
of 255.255.255.0, give the other one an IP address of 192.168.0.2 with a
subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 -  I don't think you'll need to specify any
other settings in there yet.

On the second page of the Network Properties dialog you'll need to specify
the workgroup name - it can be almost anything, as long as the computer
names are different and the workgroup names are the same.  I would suggest
just using WORKGROUP for the workgroup name.

I believe that should cover most things as far as the network setup is
concerned.  You might want to ensure that File and Printer sharing is
enabled on both machines (I think, from memory, that there's a button there
to turn those on and off).

Finally, ensure you have the right cable.  If it is CAT5 (typically has a
connector that plugs in like a phone jack), then you will need to ensure
that it is a crossover cable.  If it is not a crossover cable, then
connecting the two machines with the one piece of cable won't work.

I'm sure there's some stuff I've missed, but give that a go and let us know
how you get on.

Regards,

Bevan