[pchelpers] Re: Defrag of the C Drive

  • From: "Jacqueline MacWhirter" <jmacwhirter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 09:50:51 -0700

Hi Ming:
There are several reasons why your system won't defrag
1. make sure you shut off your screensaver
2. clean out  your .tmp files
3. Shut off  or disable as many icons as you can -- in your task bar on the
right side - things  like your printer icon, disable your firewall, icq, msn
on some computers it was necessary to disable the antivirus, the less you
have running in the background the better.
4. Let it defrag  if it restarts all the time like if its is stuck like i.e.
10%  it will change I have had cases were it took all night to defrag.
5. Reboot your machine into safemode and try to defrag your computer that
way.
6. The worse scenerio is that you might have to run setup win 98 se again. I
had to do that too and it ran after that. What happens Ming is many people
neglect to run defragmentation you should do it at least a couple times a
week  perhapes you have way too many files that are fragmented or even bad
clusters--  Anyways give it a shot. -- Jackie
PS don't forget to run scandisk- too