[patriots] Re: How you can help change our voting system

  • From: Jack Lewis <ukpatriot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Katie Ghose, Electoral Reform Society" <campaigns@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Patriots <patriots@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 15:20:00 +0100

Dear Katie,
What about Tower Hamlets you must have heard about the shambles?

Jack Lewis

On 28/05/2014 15:11, Katie Ghose, Electoral Reform Society wrote:

Having difficulty reading this email? Click here <http://www.e-activist.com/ea-campaign/action.handleViewInBrowser.do?ea.campaigner.email=PGmVxwHIasjYKxJsKTJuzlpH3MbxMoC7&broadcastId=45597&templateId=33414> to view in your browser

Electoral Reform Society

Dear Jack

You’ll have seen it in the papers – UKIP’s success, the Liberal Democrats’ losses, the end of two-party politics.

And the evidence that our voting system for local elections is *utterly broken. *

It was obvious in Manchester, where Labour won 100% of the seats with just 58% of the vote. It was clear in Kingston where the Conservatives won 62% of seats with only 35% of the vote. It even happened to the Liberal Democrats and UKIP.

In area after area people voted only to find that the results didn’t reflect what they said. In a 21^st Century democracy, *people’s votes are meant to count*.

*Please sign our petition to the party leaders, telling them enough is enough - the voting system for local elections must change <http://www.e-activist.com/ea-campaign/broadcast.response.do?ea.url.id=236505&ea.campaigner.email=PGmVxwHIasjYKxJsKTJuzlpH3MbxMoC7&ea_broadcast_target_id=0>***

*The case for change is simple.* Political parties should win seats when people vote for them, but not if they don’t.

The party leaders can make this a reality in England and Wales. They can change the voting system to the Single Transferable Vote (STV is already used successfully for local elections in Scotland).

*Sign our petition calling for a voting system fit for the 21^st century <http://www.e-activist.com/ea-campaign/broadcast.response.do?ea.url.id=236506&ea.campaigner.email=PGmVxwHIasjYKxJsKTJuzlpH3MbxMoC7&ea_broadcast_target_id=0>***

With best wishes,

Katie and the ERS team

*P.S*. Did you know that in last week’s local elections, 38,000 voters only had a choice of one candidate? Incredible as it sounds, in seven areas only one party tried to win the seat, giving voters absolutely no choice. Changing the electoral system would stop this happening. *Sign our petition now <http://www.e-activist.com/ea-campaign/broadcast.response.do?ea.url.id=236507&ea.campaigner.email=PGmVxwHIasjYKxJsKTJuzlpH3MbxMoC7&ea_broadcast_target_id=0>*.

*Facebook* <http://www.facebook.com/electoralreformsociety>Twitter <http://twitter.com/electoralreform>Join the Electoral Reform Society <http://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/become-a-member/>

If you have any queries or feedback about this email or the Electoral Reform Society's work, please get in touch with us at *ers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:ers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>* or call 44 (0)20 3714 4070