[patriots] FW: FGM

  • From: john TIMBRELL <johntimbrell@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "patriots@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <patriots@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 15:36:36 +0000

I wrote to Lynne Featherstone stating that she could stop FGM in the UK very
quickly by asking a question in parliament.viz Do health visitors and social
workers and Doctors report these crimes . And what is the governments guidance
to these people who must be presented with the evidence of FGM in the course of
their duties.
I wonder why she hasn't replied? Perhaps you also would write and also
embarrass your prospective candidate for trying to gain votes by jumping on the
bandwagon.

Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 15:18:43 +0000
From: internalcomms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: johntimbrell@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: FGM

       Dear john,

FGM has been illegal in the UK for more than 30 years but it is
estimated that over 20,000 girls under the age of 15 in the UK are at
risk of FGM each year.

That’s because until recently FGM has been in the shadows,
protected by victims who don’t know where to turn and a lack of
awareness amongst the wider community. Thanks to the work of this
government, activists and charities the taboo has been broken.

In government I have made it a priority to tackle the problem of
FGM. I secured the largest ever international fund to combat FGM and
my colleague Norman Baker introduced training for front line workers
to help identify the victims of FGM and those at risk.

Unless Liberal Democrats are in government again FGM could slip off
the political agenda for a long time. We have fought hard for the
progress we have made—a Labour or Tory government could undo all of
that hard work.

If you want to see FGM stay high up on the next government’s agenda
there needs to be Liberal Democrats in government. No other political
party will do as much to end FGM as we will. If Liberal Democrats are
elected again we will continue to fight to end FGM and make sure those
at risk will get the support they need to speak out.

Please donate today to help elect Liberal Democrat MPs who
will continue to fight against FGM:

http://www.libdems.org.uk/donate-fgm

Your support will make a huge difference in the fight to end FGM.
Your donation will go towards supporting candidates like Norman Baker
who wants to see FGM ended for good.

Please
donate to our campaign that will elect MPs who want to keepit will
really make a difference to elect MPs who care about ending FGM within
a generation.

Thank you,

Lynne

Lynne Featherstone
 Liberal Democrat MP

This email was sent to johntimbrell@xxxxxxxxxx.

Change your email settings
or unsubscribe.

Published and promoted by Tim Gordon on behalf of the Liberal Democrats,
8-10 Great George St, London, England SW1P 3AE, United Kingdom