[passcoalition] Re: revised proposal for modification to the prioritization tool

  • From: Gene Bourquin DHA <oandmhk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: PASS listserv <passcoalition@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 18:14:35 -0500

I should clarify the delayed green definition.  When you have a delayed green
on a one-way avenue or street, it would, in effect, be an LPI.
Ken, I think you were referring to a different situation.  Here's one
explanation I found in my notes and comes from the internet:
"Delayed, or flashing green means the cars on one side of the intersection are
given an opportunity for a left turn with no opposing traffic, before the
lights go to straight green, which means traffic from both directions are
allowed."   So Ken, your explanation was correct.  Leading turns can be
confusing because they may be ambiguous and may sound like the through traffic
surge.
Ken, your challenge crossing west on the south crosswalk at 42 Street and 9th
Ave and other leading turns clearly illustrates why pedestrians should only
initiate the crossing with the near-lane parallel traffic surge.
Gene

Dr. Eugene
A Bourquin
_____________________________
DHA, COMS, CI & CT,
CLVT

Support deafblind children in Guatemala!
Go to www.FRIENDSofFUNDAL.org
Visit: http://www.bourquinconsulting.com/

From: oandmhk@xxxxxxx
To: passcoalition@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [passcoalition] Re: revised proposal for modification to the
prioritization tool
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 16:54:48 -0500

Ken,

I think perhaps I was unclear. The community boards need not be directly
involved or particularly invested.  We propose that the district geographic
lines be used to define areas for prioritization.  If the DOT and the community
board cooperate, all the better, but the main idea on the revised proposal was
to delineate neighborhoods.

Delayed green signals are essentially LPI. Leading turns are turn that happen
ahead of the through traffic, and this happens with arrow signals.

Gene

Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 11:10:18 -0800
From: cclvi@xxxxxxxxx
prioritization tool
To: passcoalition@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I offer two cautions about depending on community Boards;  first, many major
intersections are at the borders of two community boards and, therefore,
neither board may feel strong ownership of it, and second, my personal and very
subjective impression is that the Transportation Committees in some community
boards are rather clueless about accessibility matters (readers of this list
will recall my urging that coalition members get into that action!)
Regarding your references to traffic signals Karen, I think the "Delayed Green"
phase may be the same thing as your "leading turn".  It holds back the opposing
straight traffic for a few seconds to permit left turners to clear the
intersection.  It certainly does have implications for pedestrians.  For
example, as I prepare to cross west on the south crosswalk  at Ninth Avenue, I
cannot start just because the westbound 42nd Street vehicle traffic surges.
Therefore, I feel the presence of both ""Delayed Green" and LPI" signals
deserve high prioritization scores.