[pasmembers] Telecon Sept 25 2014 Gravitational Lensing

  • From: Terri <starstuff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PAS Members ListServ <pasmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 12:46:54 -0700

[image: lIlustration of a gravitational lens]

*1.September Telecon: Cosmology from Gravitational Lensing *

NSN members: join us on *Thursday, September 25 at 6:00 pm Pacific Time * for
an informative telecon with *Dr. Mandeep Gill*
<http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~msgill/> of the Stanford Linear Accelerator
Center (*SLAC*). His topic will be: *Cosmology from Gravitational Lensing*,
or Professor Einstein Teaches us About the Cosmos through its Spacetime
Curvature. Dr. Gill will take us through a tour through the universe of the
very big and very small, and show us the links between particle physics on
Earth and the warping of spacetime that we can see on very large scales in
our universe.

Slides and more information will be available shortly on our resource page
here: http://bit.ly/nsnlensing .

*Call-in Information*

NSN members are invited to join the live telecon by calling the toll-free
line:  *1-888-455-9236 <1-888-455-9236>*

Call up to 15 minutes before the telecon begins. An operator will answer
and:

   -  You will be asked for the passcode: *NIGHT SKY NETWORK*
   -  You will be asked to give your *NAME* and the *CLUB* you belong to as
   well as the number of people listening with you.

*About Dr. Mandeep Gill*
*[image: Dr. Mandeep Gill, photo courtesy Stanford]*

Dr. Mandeep Gill is an observational cosmologist and a memb er of the
public affairs department at SLAC concentrating on gravitational weak
lensing.  In 2008 he was a postdoctoral research fellow at the Center for
Cosmology and Particle Physics at the Ohio State University concentrating
on gravitational weak lensing and determination of cosmological parameters
from this technique. He earned his doctorate at UC Berkeley in 2004 in
Experimental High Energy Particle Physics. In the summer of 2005 he visited
the LHC at CERN in Geneva, Switzerland, and observed (one might even say
was "awed by") the construction of the CMS and Atlas experiments. In a
visiting position at Caltech in 2006 he was involved in a cosmology project
involving second order weak lensing (and ultimately better dark matter
distribution determination) of distant galaxy clusters.

I wonder if we can set this up while at PVCC doing the Telescope Workshop,
to listen to it during the workshop, howeverer, it begins at 6 and we
aren't there until 7pm, maybe that won't work in our favor.

Visit the P.A.S. Facebook
Visit my Music Page:  <http://betterfly.com/pro/musicbyterri>Private Music
Instructor <http://betterfly.com/pro/musicbyterri> & Music Facebook