[pasmembers] Re: Minority membership-PAS

  • From: Leah S <lphxaz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pasmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 14:17:03 -0700

I also had some suggestions that I wanted to share, but I am in the middle of a big project at work. hopefully I will be able to write later today, or tomorrow. stay tuned.

On 1/10/2017 11:59 AM, (Redacted sender insanas for DMARC) wrote:

I wish to thank Paul Maley and Alex Vrenios for their encouragement in wanting to increase the number of minorities in the astronomy profession, and astronomy clubs such as PAS. At the next PAS Meeting of the Minds we will have the topic of increasing minority membership at PAS. Until then, anyone interested in the project should read the emails of Paul (Monday) and Alex (Sunday) and also the references Alex provided in his email. Anyone who has knowledge of potential speakers, please notify me or Alex and we can check them out and schedule one at an upcoming PAS general meeting. I am not sure what background would be best for the speaker. Just brainstorming here, but perhaps an astronomer, or an officer from an astronomy club that has successfully integrated minorities, or Astronomy League official, or NASA outreach person, or high school or college astronomy teacher, or civil rights expert, or sociologist, or ??? that would draw minorities to our meeting and potentially generate some new minority members. Also, think of how to directly do outreach to minority students. Perhaps have a few PAS members attend a STEM night at a predominantly minority high school within 5 or 10 miles of PVCC so that we could distribute literature or talk to students to get them interested in a PAS meeting or star party, which could lead to future membership.
Take care, Sam Insana President of PAS