[pasmembers] Re: Canon T3i only $599 at Frys

  • From: Tim Jones <timj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pasmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2012 15:02:42 -0700

I was able to get my T1i (the T3i's older brother) into ready mode and swap out
between the eyepiece and the camera for the Venus transit with great ease.  We
shot the annular with it through Bob's 9.25" SCT.  Mine hasn't been modified
yet, but the Hutech mod is only $350.  Plus, you can get some really great
widefield shots using the standard camera lenses.

Considering real astro-specific CCD cameras that come anywhere near the
resolution of the T3i cost almost 3x as much, you'd definitely be getting a
great camera.  Plus, Jim at ScopeStuff.com has all of the adapters that you
need for scope attachment.  If you have the cash, something like the QHY10 is
an amazing camera, but it is JUST an astro camera.  With the T3i, you get both.

The Camera to 2" adapter:

        http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_b2ce.htm

Threaded extenders to provide proper back-focus:

        http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_ttet.htm

If you want that $599 deal, remember that it's off on Monday …

Tim