Pallium India Newsletter: Special Supplement – 07 September 2013

  • From: Pallium India Newsletter <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "" <palliumindia@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2013 02:52:49 +0000

Pallium India
Care Beyond Cure

        Narcotics Act: We bow our heads in shame.

        We thought this would be a day on which we could give some good news,
the day on which we could announce to the world, “India did it; we amended the
Draconican NDPS Act!”. But it was not to be. Yesterday we heard that the
Parliament session had been extended by this one day, during which we hoped the
pending bills would get passed, including the amendment of the narcotic
regulations of India. But it was not to be. The morning brought in the news
that the Parliament had adjourned sine die.
[http://palliumindia.org/cms/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/parliament.jpg]

        We do not know if there will be one more session of the Parliament
during the term of the current Government. If not, the pending bills become
null and void. We have to start all over again.

        All officials of Revenue Department of Government of India, those
legislators who showed an interest, Tripti Tandon and all at Lawyers’
Collective, all at PPSG, WHO and Human Rights Watch and many others, the
palliative care community of India thank you for your support.

        _ON BEHALF OF ALL INDIANS TEMPORARILY IN HEALTH, WE APOLOGISE TO THE
MILLIONS IN PAIN IN THIS COUNTRY AND THEIR FAMILIES FOR OUR ARROGANCE OF HEALTH
AND QUOTE J. HINTON, “WE EMERGE DESERVING OF LITTLE CREDIT; WE WHO ARE CAPABLE
OF IGNORING THE CONDITIONS WHICH MAKE MUTED PEOPLE SUFFER.”_