Pallium India Newsletter: January 2016

  • From: Pallium India Newsletter <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "" <palliumindia@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2015 17:46:12 +0000

Pallium India
Care Beyond Cure

* ~~~~~~~~~~~~ *
! January 2016 !
* ~~~~~~~~~~~~ *
http://palliumindia.org/2015/12/january-2016/
December 31, 2015

DEAR FRIENDS,

A NEW YEAR IS HERE. PALLIUM INDIA HAS JUST CELEBRATED ITS 12TH BIRTHDAY, AND IT
IS TIME FOR SOME INTROSPECTION. WHY, PALLIUM INDIA IS GOING TO BE A TEENAGER
THIS TIME NEXT YEAR!

We have had some good years and some not-so-good years; but overall we
have had some significant successes. And the successes have been because of
support from many of you. So, as we welcome the new year in, thank you,
everyone who supported us and walked with us. And may your new year be the best
ever!

PALLIATIVE CARE POLICY PROPOSED FOR KARNATAKA STATE
[HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/2015/12/PALLIATIVE-CARE-POLICY-PROPOSED-FOR-KARNATAKA-STATE/]

“This is a humanitarian endeavour. I am glad you are taking the
initiative,” said Mr Atul Tiwari IAS, Principal Secretary of Health, Government
of Karnataka.

With the initiative of Dr Linge Gowda, palliative care physician and
Director of the Regional Cancer Centre at Kidwai Memorial Institute of
Oncology, Bengaluru, seniors officials from heath, National Health Mission
(NHM) and Drug Controller sat together with palliative care experts to discuss
the possible palliative care policy for Karnataka.

Perhaps it is indicative of the changing times that there was not one
word of dissent; not one face showed lack of enthusiasm. The group sat
together, discussed possible plans of action. A working committee is likely to
meet soon to discuss the possible policy document. Pallium India hopes that the
draft document submitted by it will ease the process.

PALLIATIVE CARE AND UNIVERSAL HEALTH COVERAGE
[HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/2015/12/PALLIATIVE-CARE-AND-UNIVERSAL-HEALTH-COVERAGE/]

“Millions of people around the world are forced into poverty while
living with non-communicable diseases such as cancer, or other serious health
conditions. Paying for costly treatment, loss of income, or travel for
treatment and care, all contribute to this downward spiral.” In a report
published in the Huffington Post titled “ Palliative Care and Universal Health
Coverage
[http://www.huffingtonpost.com/pamela-glasner/palliative-care-and-unive_b_8812218.html?ir=India&adsSiteOverride=in]
“, Pamela Glasner discusses the importance of palliative care and the need to
prioritise it in discussions around Universal Health Coverage and the Global
Goal for Health.

Universal Health Coverage (UHC) is a target of the Global Goal for
Health [http://www.globalgoals.org/global-goals/good-health/] . It means that
all people should have access to good quality, comprehensive health services
without being exposed to financial hardship. Hospice and palliative care
services are an important part of UHC, aiming to relieve suffering and to
improve quality of life for adults and children affected by life-threatening
and life-limiting illness.

The article highlights the report Palliative Care and the Global Goal
for Health
[http://www.thewhpca.org/resources/item/palliative-care-and-the-global-goal-for-health-report-2]
, published recently by international palliative care organisations ahead of
Universal Health Coverage Day on 12 December, that calls for greater action and
progress on delivering UHC.

We thank Ms Kate Jackson for bringing this to our attention.

Read the article on Huffington Post website
[http://www.huffingtonpost.com/pamela-glasner/palliative-care-and-unive_b_8812218.html?ir=India&adsSiteOverride=in]
.

“ART ON WHEELS” – AN EXHIBITION OF TALENTS BY WHEELCHAIR-BOUND PEOPLE
[HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/2015/12/ART-ON-WHEELS-AN-EXHIBITION-OF-TALENTS-BY-WHEELCHAIR-BOUND-PEOPLE/]

_

Wheelchair-bound people got together on 6th of December, 2015 at an
exhibition and sale of art and craft created by them. Their message:
WHEELCHAIR-BOUND PEOPLE HAVE MUCH TO CONTRIBUTE TO SOCIETY. DON’T CONFINE THEM
TO THEIR HOMES. MAKE OUR CITIES WHEELCHAIR FRIENDLY.

The program was organized by Pallium India, in collaboration with
Manaveeyam Theruvorakkoottam and Art Faktory.

Also see:
* Photos of Art on Wheels event
[https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1276458235713586.1073741851.141945799164841&type=3]

* Report on the event by The Hindu_
[http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Thiruvananthapuram/standing-up-being-counted/article7957265.ece]

* Wheelchair friendly Trivandrum initiative
[https://www.facebook.com/wheelchairfriendlyTVM]

_(Photo: Rajan Robert)_

PALLIATIVE CARE EDUCATION AT SGCCRI, THAKURPUKUR, KOLKATA
[HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/2015/12/PALLIATIVE-CARE-EDUCATION-AT-SGCCRI-THAKURPUKUR-KOLKATA/]

[http://palliumindia.org/cms/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/SGCCRI.jpg]

Pallium India had the privilege of being part of two workshops
organized jointly by Eastern India Palliative Care (EIPC) and American Society
of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) at Thakurpukur, Kolkata – a workshop for beginners
on the 7th and 8th of December 2015, and a refresher course for palliative care
professionals and volunteers on the 9th and 11th of December. Dr Frank Ferris
and Dr Vivek Khemka from USA joined Dr Sankha Mitra from EIPC, and Dr Arnab
Gupta, Mr Ranjan Gupta, Dr Rakesh Roy and others from SGCCRI to conduct the
workshop, ably supported by the ASCO representatives, Vanessa Eaton and Ms
Sarah Bachman.

Important strides! There was palpable improvement in the number and
interest of participants compared to previous years. West Bengal, with so
little palliative care at the moment, needs this badly.

BETTER DAYS ARE COMING!

POONAM BAGAI RECEIVES NARGIS DUTT CANCER CONQUEROR AWARD
[HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/2015/12/POONAM-BAGAI-RECEIVES-NARGIS-DUTT-CANCER-CONQUEROR-AWARD/]

[http://palliumindia.org/cms/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Poonam-Bagai-Nargis-Dutt-award.jpg]
Poonam Bagai, the Vice Chairman of Pallium India and Founder-Chairman of
CanKids, was awarded the Nargis Dutt Cancer Conqueror Award by the Nargis Dutt
Cancer Foundation. The award was presented by Priya Dutt.

CanKids…KidsCan [http://www.cankidsindia.org/] is a registered
charitable National Society working to make a Change for Childhood Cancer in
India. It aims to identify and bridge the gaps to ensure best treatment, care
and support to children with cancer. Pallium India and CanKids work together
for the integration of palliative care into cancer care for children.

The Nargis Dutt Cancer Foundation is a non-profit and charitable
organization committed to improving medical care in the Indian subcontinent.

CONGRATULATIONS, POONAM!

DR HENK BEKEDAM NAMED WHO REPRESENTATIVE TO INDIA
[HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/2015/12/DR-HENK-BEKEDAM-NAMED-WHO-REPRESENTATIVE-TO-INDIA/]

Our WHO Collaborating Centre for Training and Policy on Access to Pain
Relief at Trivandrum welcomes Dr Henk Bekedam, who is taking over as WHO’s
representative to India
[http://www.searo.who.int/india/about/who_representative/en/] .

IOWA COMES TO TRIVANDRUM AGAIN!
[HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/2015/12/IOWA-COMES-TO-TRIVANDRUM-AGAIN/]

[http://palliumindia.org/cms/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Team-Iowa-2015-16.jpg]
Like previous years, 15 undergraduate students accompanied by Prof Jo Eland and
Dr Ann Broderick of Iowa University have come to help us welcome the new year.
In this cultural immersion course spanning three weeks, the students will learn
palliative care in relation to health care in the country, and contribute what
they can.

WELCOME TO OUR TEAM, DEAR FRIENDS.

MORE NEWS FROM LAKSHADWEEP
[HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/2015/12/MORE-NEWS-FROM-LAKSHADWEEP/]

One of Pallium India’s collaborators is indeed a gem from the Arabian
sea – from Lakshadweep islands. Maulana, the founder of the palliative care
program, and his team including Dr Ali and nurse Mr Kafi with many volunteers
perform wonders there. Our friends and well-wishers Professor Dr R.Krishnan and
Professor Dr Padmaja Krishnan visited the islands recently. Here is what they
report.

[http://palliumindia.org/cms/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Kafi-and-Ali.jpg]

“What impressed us most was the tremendous efforts taken by Moulana to
organize domiciliary care to the old, disabled and destitute, many of whom were
below the poverty line, providing them air/water-beds, dressing their bed
sores, giving them enemata or manually disimpacting faeces, changing their
catheters/ nasogastric tubes when needed.

These were all volunteers, who were happily performing these tasks.
Moulana himself taught dance in his school. The team was up at 4 every morning,
for Palliative Care, then would do their regular jobs from 10-4, then return to
caring the sick till nearly midnight, 7 days a week, 52 weeks in a year!

Most of all, the cheer the team spread to each house-hold was amazing-
we were welcomed with open arms wherever we went. This spoke volumes for the
rapport Moulana’s dedicated team (which includes local doctors, nurses and
VIPs) has established.

We were also very impressed by the meticulous detail they maintained
records – all clinical details were mentioned, results of Scans and the latest
Biochemical results entered. These notes made it easy for us to take in at a
glance what was happening to the patients. Also, the Palliative team knew
everything about each patient”.

CONGRATULATIONS, MAULANA AND TEAM. WHAT A PRIVILEGE FOR PALLIUM INDIA TO BE
YOUR FELLOW-TRAVELERS!

_[Photo:  Nurse Kafi and pillion rider Dr Ali on their home visit
vehicle.]_

MCI ETHICS COMMITTEE MINUTES NO LONGER PUBLIC
[HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/2015/12/MCI-ETHICS-COMMITTEE-MINUTES-NO-LONGER-PUBLIC/]

Some things catch public attention easily. Many important things do not
– because their impact would be rather subtle though serious and far-reaching.
For example, the recent changes in the Indo-US understanding about patent laws
have steeply increased costs of medicines in India and they threaten to become
costlier yet. Similarly, the reduction in health budget (already one of the
lowest in the world, in terms of percentage of GDP – at about 1.12%) by 15% in
2015 threatens to have a long lasting adverse effect on public health in India.

Here is another subtle one. The Medical Council of India (MCI), the
apex regulatory body of the medical profession with statutory powers, has
decided not to make public any of its Ethics Committee decisions. The Ethics
Committee minutes used to be uploaded on the Council’s website, but that
practice has ceased since October 2013, when the current MCI administration
took charge. The Council, in a reply to “People for Better Treatment”
application under the Right to Information Act, said that it “no longer
maintains consolidated minutes of Ethics Committee”.

EVEN IN OUR COURTS, ALL PROCEEDINGS ARE AVAILABLE TO THE PUBLIC!

PAIN, PALLIATIVE CARE AND COMPASSION IN INDIA
[HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/2015/12/PAIN-PALLIATIVE-CARE-AND-COMPASSION-IN-INDIA/]

READ THE MOVING STORIES ILLUSTRATING THE NEED FOR PAIN RELIEF AND
PALLIATIVE CARE BY DR HANNAH FOX AND MS KATE JACKSON, BASED ON HANNAH’S
EXPERIENCE IN INDIA OVER A YEAR.

In the journal article, Pain, Palliative Care and Compassion in India
[http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.3109/15360288.2015.1101642#.VnGElEp97IU]
, Hannah Fox and Kate Jackson skillfully narrate true stories of patients to
bring home to us the lack of palliative care and the resultant suffering in
India, and also the islands of compassion that exist in the limited number of
palliative care units showing us what could be done.Baby Safiya, just 12 months
old, had hydrocephalus which was operated on several times. Unable to cope with
the stress, her father committed suicide, leaving her mother alone to care for
Safiya.A similar fate awaited Somnath’s mother. Somnath is a paraplegic person
living in Kerala, India. As no other service exists to care for paraplegic
people, Pallium India takes care of them.The complicated dynamics of a joint
family and the strain all become too much for Somnath’s wife and she too takes
her own life, leaving his mother to care for him.These are not rare cases.
During the calendar year 2013 alone, 26,426 people committed suicide in India
due to disease
[http://palliumindia.org/2014/11/no-time-to-provide-palliative-care-we-are-busy-discussing-euthanasia/]
. Safiya and Somnath are among the tiny minority in India who get some access
to palliative care, even if this comes late.If you think the narrative gives
only the dismal state of palliative care – and healthcare as a whole – in
India, you are mistaken. The article also paints the beautiful picture of
Rekha-di, the psychologist patient coordinator with the palliative care team at
Saraj Gupta Cancer Centre and Research Institute (SGCC&RI), Kolkata.Their
patient, a delirious young man, looks agitated but it soon becomes apparent
that this was not due to confusion or delirium, the man is simply frightened.
As Dr Fox searches through the list of possible medications in her head,
Rekha-di just goes to him, puts her arms around him, holds his head on her
shoulder and strokes his back, speaking softly to him. The tension dissolves.
The man is comforted.The article also describes the unrelieved pain that a 30
year old lady with advanced breast cancer goes through due to a lack of access
to morphine, and the intense relief of the carers when Ms Dutta gets morphine
that relieves her pain and breathlessness.Congratulations to Dr Hannah Fox and
Ms Kate Jackson for these stories which could be powerful tools for
advocacy.Congratulations also to the Journal of Pain and Palliative Care
Pharmacotherapy and to Taylor & Francis, the publisher of the journal, who have
made its narratives feature
[http://explore.tandfonline.com/page/med/ippc-pain-narratives] open access and
to Mr Art Lipman, the editor of the journal.

Real stories of pain, suffering and relief help to illustrate the
desperate need for palliative care and pain relief worldwide. The _ Journal of
Pain and Palliative Care Pharmacotherapy [http://www.tandfonline.com/ippc] _
welcomes your narratives on pain, suffering and relief.

(This article was first published in ehospice
[http://www.ehospice.com/ArticleView/tabid/10686/ArticleId/17812/language/en-GB/View.aspx]
.)

“A LESSON IN SPIRITUALITY” BY DR VIDYA VISWANATH
[HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/2015/12/A-LESSON-IN-SPIRITUALITY-BY-DR-VIDYA-VISWANATH/]

[http://palliumindia.org/cms/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/ippc20.v029.i04.cover_.jpg]
It is not easy to understand how spiritual support works in a multi-religious
environment unless one has lived in such a society.

In a culture where diversity of faiths and spiritual practices exist,
there is potential for a complicated situation if a religious leader of one
faith provides care to a person who follows another faith. Sometimes, though,
the spiritual needs at the end of life can be surprising.

In the narrative entitled: ‘ A Lesson in Spirituality
[http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.3109/15360288.2015.1098764] ’,
published in the Journal of Pain and Palliative Care Pharmacotherapy, Dr Vidya
Viswanath describes the story of a Hindu man with advanced cancer, battling a
fecal fistula. His illiterate wife, in the author’s words, turns out to be a
“perfect” spiritual caregiver.

The woman asked the husband: “If something happened to you suddenly,
what would you want me to do?” The man replied that since childhood he has
liked the rituals of church, and so would like a Christian funeral and burial.
When he died, he was buried the way he wanted. The extended family then
performed Hindu rituals.

I find the story so very uplifting – the merging of religious beliefs,
all tending to connect the dying person and the family “to nature and the
significant or sacred.” This story reaffirms that the essence of spirituality
is the coexistence of harmony and humanity, transcendent of religion.

The Journal of Pain and Palliative care Pharmacotherapy
[http://www.tandfonline.com/ippc] in which this story is published, is an
indexed journal that has made the narratives
[http://explore.tandfonline.com/page/med/ippc-pain-narratives] free access.
That is a noble act on the part of the publishers, who have taken this step to
help tell the story of suffering and relief to the world.

The Journal of Pain and Palliative Care Pharmacotherapy welcomes your
narratives on pain, suffering and relief. Tell your story to the world and help
improve palliative care awareness.

BINDU’S MOST IMPORTANT DECISION IN HER LIFE
[HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/2015/12/BINDUS-MOST-IMPORTANT-DECISION-IN-HER-LIFE/]

[http://palliumindia.org/cms/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/bin_1.jpg]
What do you do when you are all set to celebrate Onam (the annual harvest
festival of Kerala) and discover that your 83-year-old dear Daddy has a medical
problem? The festival turns to a nightmare – a trip from doctor to doctor and
from hospital to hospital. Then the verdict – brain tumour. And the solution –
surgery.

Bindu Nair, a volunteer for Pallium India, and her family had to go
through with the process of an agonizing decision – what would be the best for
her Daddy. The surgery would take care of his tumour but what would it do to
the person in the meantime? She needed answers. Finally, she found a doctor who
would talk, not only about the tumour but also about her father. That doctor
agreed with her that rather than the surgery, what may be best for the quality
of his life for the remainder of the time may be the alternative, palliative
care.

Bindu says that if she had not been exposed to palliative care she
wouldn’t have known how to approach the issue, and how to get the medical
system to help her father and not just the tumour. Read the article “ How
Palliative Care helped me make an important decision in life
[http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.3109/15360288.2015.1082008#.Vnt3gfl97IU]
” published in the Journal of Pain and Palliative Care Pharmacotherapy.

The  Journal of Pain and Palliative care Pharmacotherapy
[http://www.tandfonline.com/ippc]  is an indexed journal that has made  the
narratives [http://explore.tandfonline.com/page/med/ippc-pain-narratives]  free
access. The journal welcomes your narratives on pain, suffering and relief.
Tell your story to the world and help improve palliative care awareness.

VACANCY FOR MEDICAL OFFICER AT DELHI
[HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/2015/12/VACANCY-FOR-MEDICAL-OFFICER-AT-DELHI/]

| JOB TITLE: | | Medical Officer |

| JOB LOCATION: | | Gautam Nagar, Delhi |

| NATURE OF JOB:  | | Full-time post |

| QUALIFICATION: | | MBBS or above |
| SALARY & BENEFITS: | Remuneration in accordance with qualifications and
experience,
Salary Rs. 60 K Maximum
| EXPERIENCE: | | 5-7 Years Exp. Candidates worked in the same sector is
preferred. |

| DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: | | Click here to see the complete Job
Description
[http://palliumindia.org/cms/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/JD-Medical-Officer.pdf]

| HOW TO APPLY: | | Email your resumé to  sapnakhurana@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:sapnakhurana@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] _OR_ hr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:hr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] |

_For more openings, visit our Careers
[http://palliumindia.org/about/careers/] page._

WANTED MEDICAL OFFICER FOR PALLIATIVE CARE SERVICES AT DEHRADUN
[HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/2015/12/WANTED-MEDICAL-OFFICER-FOR-PALLIATIVE-CARE-SERVICES-AT-DEHRADUN/]

Shri Guru Ram Rai Institute Of Medical & Health Sciences seeks
qualified candidates for the post of Medical Officer for Palliative Care.
* Qualification: MBBS
* Salary: INR 40000 per month
* Type of appointment: Contractual for One Year, can be extended for
two more years
* Upper age limit: 65 years
* Preference to candidates with palliative medicine or Oncology
exposure
* Computer familiarity desirable

To apply, please send your detailed resumé to
prabhakarannair@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:prabhakarannair@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] .
Phone: (0) 9447002781

_For more openings, visit our __ Careers
[http://palliumindia.org/about/careers/] page._

UAE PALLIATIVE CARE CONFERENCE ON 22 JANUARY
[HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/2015/12/UAE-PALLIATIVE-CARE-CONFERENCE-ON-22-JANUARY/]

The first UAE Palliative Care Conference is scheduled on Friday, 22nd
January, 2016 at Crystal Ball Room, Sofitel, Corniche, Abu Dhabi.

This one-day event, divided into two sessions, will cover a
comprehensive range of topics related to Palliative Care. The speakers include
many global palliative care experts, Medical and Surgical Oncologists,
Anesthesiologists, Pain Specialists, Nephrologist, a Nurse, Nutritionist, and a
Psychologist.

For more information and to register for the conference, please visit:
http://www.universalhospitals.com/cme [http://www.universalhospitals.com/cme]

APPLY NOW FOR AN IASP EARLY CAREER RESEARCH GRANT
[HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/2015/12/APPLY-NOW-FOR-AN-IASP-EARLY-CAREER-RESEARCH-GRANT/]

IASP [http://www.iasp-pain.org] invites eligible members to apply
online for an IASP Early Career Research Grant. IASP will award multiple grants
of up to US$20,000 each to support independent researchers in the early career
stages of their careers.

To be eligible to apply, you must:
* Be a member of IASP
* Have received your final degree or completed your professional or
specialty training no more than six years ago
* Never have received a grant that provides support equal to or greater
than the IASP Early Career Research Grant.

LAST DATE: JANUARY 26, 2016
For details and to apply, please visit:
http://www.iasp-pain.org/Education/GrantDetail.aspx?ItemNumber=712
[http://www.iasp-pain.org/Education/GrantDetail.aspx?ItemNumber=712]

SEEKING EXPERIENCED INTERNATIONAL PHYSICIANS
[HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/2015/03/SEEKING-EXPERIENCED-INTERNATIONAL-PHYSICIANS/]

Pallium India seeks clinically experienced international physicians who
are able to practice and teach in a variety of settings, include home visits,
outpatient visits, and the inpatient unit. They must be adaptable to new
environments and be able to commit to over 3 months. Pallium India will provide
translators as most patients will prefer to speak Malayalam. Teaching will be
done in English.
If you are interested, please write to us: info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]

DONATE TOYS FOR CHILDREN! [HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/DONATE]

We are happily accepting toy donations for our weekly children’s
palliative care clinic. Certain specifications need to be considered before
sending the toys across, due to the nature of the children’s illnesses.

Kindly avoid toys with small breakable parts, anything with batteries,
toys with sharp edges, regular sized Lego pieces, jigsaw puzzles with small
pieces, games involving liquids (like the ones that shoot rings onto sticks at
the press of a button), stuffed toys that have fine hair and fluff, etc.

If you are interested in sending something across, do call us
(+91-9746745497) or write to us:info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Thank you very much!

PALLIATIVE CARE INFORMATION CENTRE [HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/INFO-CENTRE]

Contact Pallium India’s Information Centre (9 am to 12 noon) for
information related to palliative care and about establishments where such
facilities are available in India. Telephone: +91-9746745497 or E-mail:
info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Address: Pallium India, Arumana Hospital, Perunthanni, Trivandrum

For more details, please visit: http://palliumindia.org/info-centre/
[http://palliumindia.org/info-centre/]

SAHAYATRA MALAYALAM NEWSLETTER [HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/SAHAYATRA/]

SAHAYATRA, Pallium India’s Malayalam print magazine, is meant for
anyone interested in palliative care – patients and families, palliative care
professionals, volunteers and well-wishers.

Click here to read the latest issue: http://palliumindia.org/sahayatra/
[http://palliumindia.org/sahayatra/]

To subscribe to SAHAYATRA, please send your complete postal address to
info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]

NEWS FROM AROUND THE WORLD

* Pranab: Multi-agency effort needed for lower cancers treatment costs
[http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/news/national/pranab-multiagency-effort-needed-for-lower-cancers-treatment-costs/article8022035.ece]

* India: A million new cases every year, but not enough palliative care
centres
[http://indianexpress.com/article/cities/mumbai/battling-the-big-c-part-ii-a-million-new-cases-every-year-but-not-enough-palliative-care-centres/]

* Begin a conversation on palliative care
[http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/on-palliative-care-and-its-quality/article7952864.ece]

* Patients declare that healthcare is a human right worldwide
[http://www.ehospice.com/ArticleView/tabid/10686/ArticleId/17705/language/en-GB/View.aspx]

* The need for solidarity with patients in extreme pain
[http://www.ehospice.com/ArticleView/tabid/10686/ArticleId/17708/language/en-GB/View.aspx]

* Julia Downing talks children’s palliative care in low and middle
income countries
[http://www.ehospice.com/internationalchildrens/articleview/tabid/10670/articleid/17717/language/en-gb/julia-downing-talks-children-s-palliative-care-in-low-and-middle-income-countries.aspx]

* When a Baby Dies
[http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/12/16/when-a-baby-dies/]
* No Justification for High Drug Prices
[http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/20/opinion/sunday/no-justification-for-high-drug-prices.html]

* Palliative care in Tamil Nadu
[http://endoflifestudies.academicblogs.co.uk/palliative-care-in-tamil-nadu/]
* Don’t tell me that death is a ‘tick box exercise’ for junior doctors
– I should know, I see death every day
[http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/dont-tell-me-that-death-is-a-tick-box-exercise-for-junior-doctors-i-should-know-i-see-death-every-a6776916.html]

* Are you living…or surviving
[http://www.ehospice.com/kenya/articleview/tabid/10674/articleid/17841/language/en-gb/are-you-living-or-surviving.aspx]

* Death Avoidance
[http://endnotesdr.blogspot.in/2015/06/death-avoidance.html]
* In the shadow of death: life as a palliative care nurse
[http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-02/life-as-a-palliative-care-nurse/6552838]
* Drug Policy Reform Is the New Human Rights Movement on the Block
[http://www.huffingtonpost.com/suchitra-rajagopalan/drug-policy-reform-is-the_1_b_8813476.html]

UPCOMING COURSES [HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/COURSES]

PALLIUM INDIA, IN COLLABORATION WITH OTHER ORGANIZATIONS, CONDUCTS
COURSES ON PALLIATIVE CARE FOR HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONALS AND VOLUNTEERS IN
DIFFERENT PARTS OF INDIA:
* TIPS, Trivandrum, Kerala. Contact: info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] – 7 MAR, 2016
* MNJIO&RCC, Hyderabad, Telengana. Contact: mnj.palliative@xxxxxxxxx
[mailto:mnj.palliative@xxxxxxxxx] – 4 JAN 2016
* BMCHRC, Jaipur, Rajasthan. Contact: palliumjaipur@xxxxxxxxx
[mailto:palliumjaipur@xxxxxxxxx] – 2 MAY 2016
* GCRI, Ahmedabad, Gujarat. Contact: palliumindia.gcri@xxxxxxxxx
[mailto:palliumindia.gcri@xxxxxxxxx] – 1 MAR 2016

For more details on the courses we offer, please visit:
http://palliumindia.org/courses/ [http://palliumindia.org/courses/]

PARTING SHOT

WHEN IN DOUBT, ASK THE PERSON.
[HTTP://PALLIUMINDIA.ORG/2015/12/WHEN-IN-DOUBT-ASK-THE-PERSON/]

Zarina’s (not her real name) body lay limp as her uncle physically
carried her up several steps on to the classroom and lay her on a couch.

This was at a workshop conducted by the palliative care unit at
Chittaranjan National Cancer Institute (CNCI) in Kolkata in collaboration with
Pallium India, on the 7th and 8th of December, 2015. The group of volunteers,
social workers, nurses and doctors sat and worked together not only on the
theory and on hypothetical case studies – but also on real patients. If any of
you are asking yourself, “Is that ethically right? Does it violate
confidentiality?” and so on, well, we did give deep thought to it. We had full
permission from the families and patients, and we decided that it was ethically
unjustifiable not to bring them in. This was the only way in which these
patients could benefit from the consultation with expert faculty.

Zarina’s family thought she was in depression and that she had given
up. She was just twenty-six, now battling advanced cancer. She wouldn’t eat or
drink, and would refuse to swallow even the medication.

Here was a simple formula that the group learned together: When in
doubt, ask the person. With a hand on her hand, a member of the team asked her,
“What is your biggest problem, Zarina?” With a supreme effort, Zarina brought
out one word: “Tired.”
“What else?”
[http://palliumindia.org/cms/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/CNCI.jpg] Zarina
touched her tummy first, and then painfully raised her hand and held it to her
throat. “Is it pain?” we asked.
She nodded ever so gently, as if a nod itself hurt so much.

The girl had unbelievably excruciating pain, which could easily be
controlled on morphine, and also severe thrush which responded to Fluconazole.
She did not live for long, but during those few days she could live and
eventually die, with reasonable comfort.

And what is more, she became a lesson in herself, teaching about forty
professionals and volunteers what palliative care was all about.

We congratulate Dr Jaydip Biswas, the director, Dr Debasish Jatua, the
palliative care physician and team on developing this unit and making it work!

_[Photo: Ms Rakhi Santhosh, Head of Nursing at Pallium India, at the
workshop]_