[PA Libraries] Re: [palib] FW: QuestionPoint

  • From: january@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: palib@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 23:11:11 GMT

LaRae et al,

I've known about the Collaborative Digital Reference Service for a
long time, but I didn't know they'd officially launched it. Eight
Washington libraries participated in the beta test
(http://wlo.statelib.wa.gov/services/vrs/currentactivities.cfm). I
just checked Timberland's and SPL's websites, and they don't seem
to be offering it yet, even though it was supposed to go live two
weeks ago.

I was originally put off by the idea that libraries would have to
pay to participate, but I never found out just how much it would
cost. I don't think we're quite ready for virtual reference out
here - we already have an "Ask a Librarian" link that hardly gets
used. But we HAVE thought about developing our own in-house version
of real-time reference to serve remote areas of the county. Maybe
this is something we could all work on together...?

Susie

P.S. LaRae, I'm glad to see that you somehow got on the list! I've
been on vacation, but I saw a message from Gail indicating that you
and Steve both had trouble subscribing. Anyone should be able to
subscribe just by going to //www.freelists.org/list/palib (and
I made some configuration changes today that might make it easier
for people to sign up). But if you know of someone who's still
having trouble, they can email me directly and I can add them. We
definitely need more subscribers to make this a worthwhile
endeavor!

> > Any thoughts about this new service? Has anyone tried it?
Satisfied?

> > LaRae Chard
> > Peninsula College Library

Without Visiting
> > the Library
> >
> > http://chronicle.com/free/2002/05/2002053101t.htm
> >
> > Paula

This message was sent using OlyPen's WebMail.
http://www.olypen.com