[pa64] Fw: Re: Opinion | I’m a Direct Descendant of Thomas Jefferson. Take Down His Memorial. - The New York Times

  • From: "tory peterson" <torypeterson33@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pa64@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pa64@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2020 15:36:36 +0000

------ Forwarded Message ------
From: "Bob Wanke" <bobwanke@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Al Richey" <alrichey@xxxxxxx>
Cc: "Mike O'Neill" <meoneill52@xxxxxxx>; "Michael Kern" <mikekern46@xxxxxxxxx>; "Brad Armstrong" <armbstrong@xxxxxxxxx>; "Peter Hicks" <phicks393@xxxxxxxxx>; "Peter Schmidt" <pwschmidt48@xxxxxxx>; "LH Puckett" <lh_puckett@xxxxxxxxx>; "Rob Hamilton" <rdhamilton@xxxxxxx>; "Tory Peterson" <torypeterson33@xxxxxxxxx>; "George Korte" <gbkorte@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 7/7/2020 11:34:51 AM
Subject: Re: Opinion | I’m a Direct Descendant of Thomas Jefferson. Take Down His Memorial. - The New York Times

The ratio of douches to good guys is small, but large enough to be really annoying.

Bob
Sent from my iPad

On Jul 7, 2020, at 11:11 AM, Al Richey <alrichey@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Received this email from a friend who was at West Point.

Small world.

The author, Lucian K. Truscott IV, is an army brat. He was two years ahead of me at West Point and unfortunately was in my company (H-3). He was a pompous theatrical Douche, who enjoyed harassing plebes. A trait that he has apparently continued to work on and develop.

From Wikipedia, his bio includes:

Truscott attended the United States Military Academy <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Military_Academy>, graduating in 1969. In 1968, Truscott and other cadets challenged the required attendance at chapel services. Later a court case filed by another cadet along with midshipmen at the United States Naval Academy <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Naval_Academy> resulted in a 1972 US Court of Appeals <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Court_of_Appeals> decision (and upheld by the Supreme Court <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Court_of_the_United_States>) that ended mandatory chapel attendance at all of the service academies.[3] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucian_K._Truscott_IV#cite_note-Gelfand-3> He was then assigned to Fort Carson, Colorado <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Carson,_Colorado>.[4] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucian_K._Truscott_IV#cite_note-4> There, he wrote an article about heroin addiction <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroin_addiction> among enlisted soldiers and another about what he felt was an illegal court martial <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Court_martial>. He was threatened with being sent to Vietnam <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam>, so he resigned his commission about thirteen months after graduating, receiving a "general discharge under other than honorable conditions."[1] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucian_K._Truscott_IV#cite_note-Gale-1>[5] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucian_K._Truscott_IV#cite_note-Klemesrud-5>

My understanding is that he universally disliked by his former USMA classmates, who took steps to drive him out of the Army

Below is a pull quote from the 2012 article linked below.

It is rare to see the New York Times carry an opinion article as disastrously bad as the one <http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/18/opinion/sunday/a-phony-hero-for-a-phony-war.html?_r=0> about David Petraeus by Lucian K. Truscott IV that ran yesterday. Some articles contain a mistake or two, but this entire thing is a mistake. Truscott is free to be a fool, but here he makes the Times look foolish. You have to wonder what the editors were thinking.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2012/11/19/lucian-k-truscott-iv-on-petraeus-perhaps-the-worst-op-ed-ive-ever-read/

The article you sent is pure Lucian.