[p900] autosync proposal (P900 in particular) + plugin for *just* vcf/vcs*files*

  • From: Johan Glimming <glimming@xxxxxx>
  • To: multisync-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, p900@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,r.koenig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 18:41:55 +0100

Hi

I've got
some questions relating to the syncronization of a Sony Ericsson P900
with multisync's SyncML plugin. The questions are related
to a wish of automating the synchronization procedure on this
device, i.e. I want nightly or hourly synchronizations rather
than manual ones initiated by the SE P900 device (the symbian
remote sync program in the device cannot handle scheduling AFAIK).
Embedded in these question is a modest proposal of starting off
a new project for autosync - a free SyncML **server** for PDA's,
and for this part, I need all feedback I can get that allows us to
measure the inherent difficulty in constructing such a program
from the SyncML plugin source via, say, the Symbian SDK 2.1.

1. Is there a way of scheduling syncs with SE P800 or P900?

   ( It seems to me that we have at least three options here:
    (i) use p3nfs as a daemon on the device - this is work
    in progress by the author of p3nfs, and use a syncronization
    plugin for VCARD and VCALENDAR *files* copied from the device's
    filesystem, rather than SyncML (!!!)    (ii)  install
    a scheduling SyncML client in the device, and
       (iii)  install a SyncML ***server*** in the device. )

2. Is there --- the need is motivated from the above discussion ---
   a plugin that handles JUST usual .vcs .ics and .vcf files
   and not evolution's directory structure in particular?
   (that would work with a future nfsutil.sis with daemon mode)

3. Have anybody reported success with a P900 + syncml
   configuration?  Anybody doing scheduled syncs? There
   is a Web page claiming it works for P800 especially if one
   starts with blank contacts/calendar on both ends.

And finally:

4. Would it be hard to create a Symbian SDK-based SyncML
   **server** (possibly port it to other platforms as well),
   with, say, https and blowfish support? Anybody started
   this, or have any source code to inject into a new
   project aiming on a free SyncML server for SymbianOS?
   (I guess we could rip a lot of code out of the SyncML
   plugin, right?)

Best,
Johan