[oxnatbees] Re: swarm this week

  • From: rich tetlow <rich.tet@xxxxxxx>
  • To: oxnatbees@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 22:23:06 +0200

i've just lost a swarm. i mentioned we came back from holiday last week to find a big swarm sending scouts out to quite heavily investigate my bait hive, which then abandoned its plans & went home. well, yesterday the same hive produced a bundle of bees about the size of a tennis ball, hanging just below the entrance. the bees were quite frisky at this time, & i got stung & chased a bit just for standing quietly 10 feet away. i went & looked at my other hives too, & they were all going bonkers. by which i mean, usually in a busy hive i feel like you see 2 distinct behaviours, foragers coming quickly & purposefully in & out, and young bees wandering around the entrance doing orientation flights. this time all the hives just had bees belting off all over the place without rhyme or reason. i thought, right, thats a virgin off on her mating flight, thats why the other hives are excited, when shes gone they'll settle down. wish i'd stayed to watch a bit longer now! half an hour later all was quiet, the ball of bees had gone, but looking in the window, the top box, which has been heaving with bees since the day after i put it on, 2 weeks ago, had about a dozen bees in- much more than a tennis balls' worth missing. so i guess my virgin, if thats what she was, continued to amass her swarm right on the doorstep after i'd gone, then just headed off. had a hopeful look at my bait hive this afternoon, but no joy, evidently they've gone somewhere else. as ever, glad to hear if anyone has an alternative hypothesis, i think the aborted swarm lost its queen somehow based on its behaviour at the time, & the fact that the bees were crochety a few days afterwards, so i was expecting a virgin to emerge about now. i'd been sort of hoping there'd just be the one though, so i didn't have to worry about casts...   Sent: Saturday, May 07, 2022 at 8:29 PM
From: "K LA" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: oxnatbees@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [oxnatbees] Re: swarm this week I thought I would report my swarm experiences so far this season.
About two weeks ago, I caught a swarm from my colony (I think), boxed it up and discovered the next day that the fork made air holes had been eaten out to provide escape holes. Anyway I hived them but they left the following day.
A week ago, I collected a swarm in a dry stone wall near Burford which I boxed and hived the next day. Three days later I found two small swarms and the hive empty. Could they have both been from the same colony? Anyway I called Emma and Martin in Spelsbury to collect the accessible one as I figured they didn’t want to stay with me. They boxed and hived and all seems well. The other swarm was inaccessible and had disappeared by the morning. Pity they didn’t decide to inhabit one of the empty hives!
Hoping for better success…
Mariella