[oxnatbees] different bee colours

  • From: "Gilliane Sills" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "gillianesills" for DMARC)
  • To: "To: oxnatbees@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oxnatbees@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 18:15:37 +0100

Six weeks ago, I hived a cast from Jane and I've taken photos inside the hive, one ten days ago and one today.  Both photos show bees of strikingly different colours:  they're all stripey and some are quite golden and some quite dark.  Jane tells me that the bees in her hive are mainly golden in colour, so the dark bees presumably get their colouring from the drones the queen mated with.  The bees in my other hive are generally dark and I guess drones from that hive could well have been in the congregation that the virgin queen flew to.  And presumably she would have mated with drones from other colonies too.  I knew in theory that there would be lots of half-sisters in a colony, but I found it really interesting to see this in practice.

Gilliane

--
from Gilliane Sills

The Map House