[oxnatbees] advice, please about checking newly hived swarm for straight comb building

  • From: "Gilliane Sills" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "gillianesills" for DMARC)
  • To: "To: oxnatbees@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oxnatbees@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2019 12:43:24 +0100

I have a horizontal top bar hive which is badly cross-combed, with the comb running along the hive, so that each comb crosses a number of top bars.  This has made it impossible to examine the bees without doing a huge amount of damage, and I haven't wanted to do this.  This colony swarmed last weekend, and the swarm is now getting established in another horizontal top bar hive.  The top bars have a strip of wood which I hope will encourage the bees to build along them, not across.  The bees are very active and are now, from today, bringing in quite large quantities of pollen.  When should I open the hive to see whether they're building along the bars as I hope they are, and what should I do if they're not, please?  Things may be complicated by the fact that I go into the Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre on Monday for a replacement hip operation!

Many thanks

Best wishes

Gilliane

--