[oxnatbees] Re: Swarm Box

  • From: Ann Welch <ann.welch123@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oxnatbees@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2019 19:02:43 +0100

That all makes very good sense Gareth, thank you.

Ann

On 28/04/2019 18:43, Gareth John

Just a comment on the subject of feeding swarms:

A swarm carries 3 or 4 days of stores with it.  The bees are unable to forage for more nectar until they empty their honey stomachs and to do this they need to build comb.  The building of the comb itself uses a lot of their onboard stores, but maybe not all.  The balance is deposited in the new comb.  This stored nectar/honey is generally used up quite quickly as the bees build more comb, which in turn is used to hold more nectar as it comes in and, importantly, brood.

The point about feeding is that in the normal situation all the onboard stores get used before any larvae need to be fed.  This is important because any brood disease that has come with the swarm in the onboard stores will not then get passed on to the new larvae.  However, if one feeds a swarm before all their onboard stores are used up, some of these stores will later get used to feed larvae, thus allowing the onward transfer of any brood disease.  In other words, *NOT feeding a swarm is an important disease control mechanism*.

That said, if a swarm has been out in the cold for several days or the weather is /continuously/ wet for several days after a swarm is hived, it may be helpful to feed /small /amounts of syrup during the evenings for just a few days.  By small amounts I mean a small wineglass per evening, no more.  This minimises the chance of onboard stores remaining long enough to be cause a problem whilst ensuring the swarm has sufficient food to get a good start.

Gareth

On 28 Apr 2019, at 16:10, Kerry Dawson <kerrydawson99@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:kerrydawson99@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Thank you Ann, I agree, why delay, unless they seem agitated or the weather has turned. But good to have some advice if a delay is unavoidable.

I have my hive ready. It's preserved on the outside with beeswax and linseed oil and on the inside it smells of lemongrass. But I have a bit of spare pure beeswax, so I'll melt it and smear a bit of it on the inside surfaces.

Eagerly awaiting bees,
Kerry