[oxnatbees] Re: Suggestions?

  • From: Juli Cohen <juliane.cohen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oxnatbees@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 18:50:02 +0100

Thank you. I just had the same idea as Lynne:

I’ll try to tape the flaps down a bit so they can crawl up them on the inside.
I’ll report back in the morning…
Juli

On 6 May 2022, at 18:34, Oxnatbees <oxnatbees@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Lynne suggests if smoke doesn't work, duct tape the box just above them as an inviting warm space as the temperature dtops tonight.
I.e. tape the flaps of the box to the fence
On Fri, 6 May 2022, 18:31 Oxnatbees, <oxnatbees@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Smoke?
I.e. drive the bees behind the cross ot and towards the collection box with smoke. It also masks the queen's smell.
The longer she hides there, the more it will smell of her.

Paul
On Fri, 6 May 2022, 18:27 Juli Cohen, <juliane.cohen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

We have what I assume is our first cast swarm following our prime swarm last week. They’re on a fence panel. I have now scooped them into the box twice and they keep going back. I think the queen might be right behind where the wood crosses. I’ve tried gently brushing them out from behind the cross bars with my (gloved) fingers, but no luck so far.

Any bright ideas?

Thanks,
Juli

JPEG image