[oxnatbees] Re: Pollen grains on a bees eye. Photo comp winner.

  • From: "Gilliane Sills" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "gillianesills" for DMARC)
  • To: oxnatbees@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Paul Honigmann (Redacted sender paul.honigmann for DMARC)" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2017 22:40:25 +0000

You mention the warmth inside the hive and I've been watching the temperature recorded by the thermometer placed underneath the hive roof, above the top bars on my horizontal top bar hive.  It drops when the outside temperature drops and has been as low as 10 or 11 degrees when the outside temperature is close to zero.  Most days there's been at least a 10 degree difference during the day.

Best wishes

Gilliane

On 26/11/2017 13:54, Paul Honigmann (Redacted sender paul.honigmann for DMARC) wrote:

Outstanding picture. Admired by entire family here. One said "so bees have eyelashes too!" (referring to the hairs on their eyes.)

I attach a photo made with the FLIR camera Jack borrowed. It shows the heat-glow from a cluster in a Warre hive on, I think, Friday night; ambient temperature was 2C that night. If you look closely round the window you can see warm dots, these are metal screws. I didn't notice those initially because the camera hasn't got many pixels' resolution, so unless you are near the hive it doesn't show that level of detail - which is the opposite of the spectacular photo Ann has circulated. At some point I shall do a blog post on this and the other hive types I FLIR-photographed, but first there are the pub meeting notes to write up   8)

Paul