[oxnatbees] Re: Colony in a loft

  • From: Ann Welch <ann.welch123@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oxnatbees@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2019 17:36:44 +0100

Hi Gilliane,

Are they trying to make the loft a storage space or a habitable room up there?  Most lofts have some ventilation around the eves to allow moisture to escape.  I wonder if the home owners can inject expanding foam around the area of the eves that bees might be getting in?   This type of foam comes in a pressurised spray can with a long tube attached to reach into crevices.  It expands hugely once it's out of the tube and sets fairly quickly.  I can't imagine the foam will do the bees too much good but if it only fills the gaps and holes rather than filling the wall cavity it might work.  Just a thought.

Ann

On 02/09/2019 17:22, Gilliane Sills (Redacted sender gillianesills for DMARC) wrote:

I also believe that it's much better to leave a colony alone than to try to move it - so my question related only to the situation where the bees would otherwise be killed.  The new owners of the house are hoping to board the loft and install electric light, and, not surprisingly, potential contractors were not enthusiastic!

 In fact, having gone yesterday to see the loft in question, I've discovered that the nest isn't in the loft at all!  The bees must be in the cavity wall, and from there, some are getting in to the house and some in to the loft.  It may be possible to find the access holes in to the house, but not, I think, those they're using to get in to the loft, which is unboarded.  Since the bees are in the wall, there's no question of getting at them to remove them.  However, it may be possible to board the loft during the winter months, when the bees will be less active and not straying in to the loft.  I hope that the owners may try this - they'd like to keep the bees safe if possible...

Gilliane

On 01/09/2019 09:05, Gareth John (Redacted sender grjohn for DMARC) wrote:

I’d just add my voice to David and Eric’s.  From experience, trying to remove a well established colony from a roof space rarely goes well.  And that’s even with the use of things like a bee vacuum.  These days I advise leaving the colony alone; just closing any gaps where the bees are getting into the rooms below with painters caulk (easier to work with than mastic).

Gareth

On 31 Aug 2019, at 23:00, Eric Asher <eric.asher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:eric.asher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

David is right I think.
Eric