[oxnatbees] Bees in new home

  • From: "Annie Bayley" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> ("annie.stogdale")
  • To: oxnatbees@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 09:43:10 +0100

This is the swarm I collected from Paul on Saturday.The swarm's starting weight was 1.55kg, a good weight!It came from Paul’s hive #2 which was started almost exactly a year ago with a big prime swarm from Karen Giles in Tackley. Her hive was populated by a swarm from Bletchingon, thought to be from a wild colony - so the bees are local, and have a long history of surviving without miticides.
I don’t want to jinx them, but they seem to be settling into their boujee new home quite happily so far…

On 1 May 2022, at 20:00, Jane denby ("janedenby") <dmarc-noreply-outsider@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks Lynne for your organisation and please yes to two swarms.We had a strange day yesterday when one prime swarm attempted leaving twice and twice went back home!The first time they went into an empty bird house and obviously this was too small so they hung tidily off it, at head height. Initially there were two clumps but they quickly joined together. We were just gathering ourselves to put them in a box, and then they went back to the alveary within 10 minutes.  Two hours later they came out, swarmed around, looked at a very tall tree and then went back home. Today too chilly for them I think. It was fascinating to see them walk themselves back in; textbook fanning. However we missed seeing the Queen go in.Do you think she is a poor flyer or are they just too keen but did not get permission to go?<image0.jpeg><image1.jpeg>