[OMB] March Comp

  • From: Bennett Cowan <bennettcowan48@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: overmountain brewers <overmountainbrewers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 20:04:59 -0500

Yo Brewsters!!

Just got confirmed that we are an official BJCP-designated comp on March 9
—Club-only for Porters (and I through in Stouts as well!) just to ramp up
the opportunities.  So officially porters and stouts and unofficially just
porters—but I’m for both since it isn’t quite so narrow.  The club can
decide...

Since I can only be a judge / judge coordinator if I know absolutely
nothing about the beers entered, I will defer to others for collecting
beers,  labeling beers , assigning numbers and flights, etc.  And if there
were enough judges and beers, I would enter one, but could not judge that
category (assuming that we have both porters and stouts...).

Everything is on-line, down-loadable and pretty simple, but as competition
organizer, I will have a lot of "paperwork" to send back to BJCP after the
comp.  The forms necessary for judges, beers, stewards, etc will all be
made available to the right person when I know whom it is.  John McGill is
Head Steward and John Kelly is head beer coordinator I believe.

And since Justin brought green-capped beers to the meeting, would suggest
that he re-cap with a plain one for the comp.

My thought would be to have the comp about an hour earlier than the
meeting, or about 1 in the afternoon if we have 40 entries!!

And would ask judges to bring their own gear including pencils and style
guidelines—score sheets, flight summaries, etc., glasses, water and
crackers I will cover.  Coolers needed by the number of entries and
labeling will have to be someone else’s baby.  As also for steward(s).  And
awards—I’m thinking $1000 gift certificates at Rebel Brewers, and for first
place, a week in Founders Brewery in their tasting room. But some sort of
bragging rights (within the club) should be part of the story.

But before the event I will need to know who will be judging (if points are
to be allocated) and will have a sign-in sheet for record keeping.  There
is a pretty significant amount of data that will need to go back to BJCP
for all the magic to happen.  My baby as well--comes with the territory of
comp organizer.

Please let me know if you have any ideas or suggestions for the event—it
should be mostly fun, partly didactic and hardly a chore for anyone if
everyone will put a shoulder to the wheel!!

So, just to let you know what’s here, I’m drinking an Oktoberfest (that has
the tiniest amount of diacetyl, I’m thinking), if it warms up ‘cause I’m
drinking slow, and a Doppelbock is still popping away after 4 weeks, albeit
more slowly than the first week, and currently in a (really long!) diacetyl
rest, and a Schwarzbier slumbers peacefully.

All my best wishes for your having a very happy holiday with your family
and friends, really looking forward to another fantastic year of being
alive and enjoying things that never last long enough!! like friends in a
beer club!
All the best-
Ben