[ourplace] Re: Easterseals to Help Communities Provide Accessible Transportation for Older Adults and People With Disabilities

  • From: Rosemarie Chavarria <knitqueen2007@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ourplace@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2016 11:56:38 -0700

Hi, Linda,

I think it's neat that Easter Seals is trying to help with more transportation for those of us who are seniors and disabled. We could sure use better transportation out here. When I start going for my exerciseprogram at Nifty After Fifty, my new worker Melanie will be able to drop me off there one way but I'll have either Mom or my sister Cecilia pick me up from there. I don't havemy aunt Esther working for me anymore.

Rosie

On 10/8/2016 10:04 AM, Linda Gehres wrote:

Easterseals to Help Communities Provide Accessible Transportation for Older Adults and People With Disabilities

WASHINGTON, Oct. 4, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire

Transportation continues to be a barrier for older adults and people with disabilities in rural communities. In response, Easterseals designed the Accessible Transportation Community Initiative to increase options for independent mobility in several communities nationwide.

The initiative will address the accessible transportation needs of people who rely on public transportation and will begin in selected rural communities in Minnesota, Wisconsin, North Dakota, South Dakota, Washington, Montana and Alaska.

When driving is not a viable option for independent mobility, people tend to shrink their world to their homes, relying on family and friends when travel is necessary. Often routine activities such as going to the grocery store or a doctor’s appointment go neglected due to the absence of readily available transportation solutions.

The Margaret A. Cargill Foundation (MACF) awarded Easterseals with a grant of $1.2 million in order to make transportation more accessible in rural communities.

With this grant, Easterseals will build a coalition in each of these communities and provide webinars, trainings, technical support, contact information, resources and much more.

Through building a strong coalition of stakeholders, each community will begin to discover that solutions shared across agencies will help individuals and organizations achieve what one agency alone could not. As a result, mobility options will be made available to alleviate the difficulty people with disabilities and older adults have in moving around their community.

“The innovative solutions developed through this initiative are vital to older adults and people with disabilities,” said Randy Rutta, President and CEO of Easterseals. “Transportation remains an enormous challenge and our ultimate goal is to build accessible communities for all.”

Communities interested in applying for an Accessible Transportation Community Initiative grant, should visit http://www.projectaction.com or contact Donna Smith, Senior Director, Easterseals Project Action Consulting at dsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

About Easterseals:

For nearly 100 years, Easterseals has been the indispensable resource for people and families facing disability. Through the work we do in communities across America, Easterseals is changing the way the world defines and views disability by making profound, positive difference in people’s lives every day. Join us as we take on disability together. For more information, please visit http://www.easterseals.com

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/easterseals-to-help-communities-provide-accessible-transportation-for-older-adults-and-people-with-disabilities-300338516.html