[otb] 1-26-2011 OTB Update - Prayer Needed

  • From: "victor" <victor@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Freelists" <otb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 17:46:11 -0500

January 26, 2011

Dear friends and family in the Lord:

Oh, how I love to write to you when the news is exciting and uplifting.
Sadly, this is not one of those days.  My heart is filled with gratitude at
what God has preserved.  On Wednesday evening, following a great trip to
Oklahoma where we did a church service, two Christian School programs, and a
recruiting fair at Southern Nazarene University, we encountered black ice on a
bridge south of Wichita, Kansas.  We were able to keep the rig out of the very
steep ditch and the vehicle upright, but the trailer flipped, spilling its
contents across the lanes and the shoulder.  We hit the jersey barrier in the
center, but the air bags did not deploy.  Linda, who was driving, has quite a
bit of bruising and some whiplash.  Victor has some chest and shoulder muscle
pain, but it?s healing.  Our passenger, a friend here at camp, had some
bruising from shoulder and lap belts, but all in all, we are doing pretty
good.  No one went to the hospital, and we were glad it was on our way home,
and not mid-trip.

The bad news is that our vehicle is totaled.  Our trailer, which was not
separately insured, is basically salvage.  The insurance company has declined
to cover it, although many we talk to say that if it is hooked to your
vehicle, it is covered.  (We have a lawyer from our board looking at the
policy.) Insult to injury occurred when a snowplow passed, pushing juggling
equipment down the highway a quarter mile.  We hit a jersey barrier in the
center blocking all but the shoulder.  Traffic continued to flow and we tried
to pick up what we could, but several pieces were run over multiple times.
Linda?s easel is smashed, some sound equipment appears to be alright, but some
doesn?t work at all.  Many cases, a bunch of chalk, and as you can see from
above, the trailer are a total loss.

Where does that leave OTB?  At the moment, we are looking for a new vehicle
with the $5400 the insurance company believes our vehicle was worth.  We don?t
want a loan as our support is still low.  We are looking for something that
will haul our equipment when we need it, since we won?t have a trailer for the
foreseeable future.  We are assessing the equipment as we have opportunity. We
need to leave Saturday for our next trip east.  There is a camp vehicle we can
use for that one, since it is a recruiting trip.  OTB is kind of up in the air
until we can see what has to be replaced, etc.

The other bad news is that the Expedition was also our only transport.  Nate
has the elderly Toyota wagon at school in Wyoming, and needs to keep it.  When
our rental runs out in three more days, we?ll be leaving for Michigan.  In
early February, we will need to have something different we can drive.

The good news is that we are here to tell?the good news!  Thanks to those of
you who pray for our safety.  We probably would not be here without you.
Please continue to pray for us as we continue to sort things out, search
things out, and plan the next steps.  We appreciate you.

If you know of anyone selling a mid size SUV that gets good gas mileage and
can haul a bit, let us know.  If you can help with our immediate financial
needs, please send it to Maranatha Bible Camp and include a note designating
it to Vic and Linda Schiro.  We are grateful for your care and support.

Still firmly in His grip,

Vic and Linda Schiro
Out of the Box Performance Arts
Maranatha Bible Camp