[orcachat] Re: Chticat Racers

  • From: Tom Speer <me@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORCA Chat <orcachat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2020 22:09:25 -0700

One of these gliders was intended for driveway use: https://youtu.be/i9sHtVzdW8Q

BTW, I used to work with John Schuster!

I also met Alexander Lippisch and he talked about how he came up with the wing-in-ground-effect idea.  Here's how it went:  Imagine an axisymmetric teardrop shape.  It has stagnation pressure on the nose and low pressure all around the area of maximum thickness. Now split it in half and put it on a plane.  You get the same flow pattern because there is effectively a mirror image of the other half.  Next, cut a hole in the nose.  This results in the inside being at stagnation pressure.  So you have high pressure inside and low pressure outside.  That means the shell wants to lift off the surface.  He basically swapped the axisymmetric body for a reverse delta wing that did the same thing.

I've always wanted to build a model of a Lippisch Aeroboat.

Cheers,

Tom

On 4/12/20 8:54 PM, Jake Boyd wrote:

Tom,

Cool idea. Maybe for driveway use the foam board “skids” could hold up better with nylon slides at each corner. Something like this may work....just need a way to glue them in....you must know a design engineer that could do that!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-7-8-in-White-Nail-On-Nylon-Glide-4-Pack-804304/306229537

Good thinking

Jake

Sent from EKAJDYOB

On Apr 12, 2020, at 19:34, Tom Speer <me@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

How about some indoor hovercraft racers for when we can resume normal operation?  They'd also be something we can run in our driveways during the interim.

Check out this thread: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3550147-Chticat-Racer

Dollar Tree foam board, 2204-1400kv motors, 10 amp esc, 8X4.3 prop, 2s 850mah battery.  Only need a rudder servo.

Cheers,

Tom

<chticata4cartouche.pdf>