[oracle-tips] Re: drop partition or make partition offline

  • From: Qing Mei <hiairfly@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 10:49:39 +0800

1. create a non-partitioned empty table as same as your partitioned table.
2. exchange the partition which you need to drop with the table above.
3. truncate the non-partitioned table.
4. go on

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 9:10 PM, Mostafa Eletriby <
dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello folks,
I have some questions regarding my case.
I have database 11g R1 Prod at Unix HP - UX , database is in archive mode.
there exist some tables partitioned with huge data and there are local
My question is that I need to drop these partitions , Is it better to make
them offline then drop them smoothly after checking the effect at data and
data consistency or go ahead to drop after taking backup & check required
steps for restoration.

Also ,I need to know the steps to be performed after dropping those
partitions regarding the local indexes & how to check them and to know all
the effect in details.
Thanks