Re: tpc.org benchmark statspack or any very high transaction system (>4000 tps) statspack report?

  • From: "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <zhuchao@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 13:27:23 +0100

The first counter-argument to your colleague's suggestion is the
"piggyback" commit.

Assume you can do a 2 m/s turnaround on a call to log writer,
limiting a SINGLE SESSION to 500 transactions per second - I've
picked 2 m/s because even with 4 Gigabit links to a SAN cache
you won't often get a much faster turnaround than that in "real"
systems.

You only need about 30 concurrent sessions to keep on issuing commits
at about half this rate to hit the target you want. Assume about 15 commit
at once, the log writer can respond by clearing all 15 calls at once; but while
it's doing this, the other 15 commit - so that their synch calls have to wait for
the current write to complete. But after the log writer has acknowledged the
batch of commits, it can handle the  second batch seven simultaneously -
during with the first 15 sessions generate more redo and commit .. and so on.

It's the sort of case where your statspack might say:
   time spent in log file parallel write  1,000 seconds
   time spent in log file sync             45,000 seconds

then when you look at the average times, the writes average about
2 m/s, and the log file syncs about 3 m/s.

The numbers don't quite add up - but I hope you get the idea. Log file
sync TOTALS often overstate the impact of waiting for log writes in
highly concurrent system when viewed at the system level.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com

Author: Cost Based Oracle: Fundamentals