tcp.nodelay - does it apply for Oracle 10g?

  • From: "Johnson, William L \(TEIS\)" <WLJohnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 09:14:55 -0400

I have found Metalink note number 71921.1.  The note has this
disclaimer..."This notes applies to anyone facing intermittent SQL*Net
read and write error
when using Oracle SQL*Net or Net8 on Windows platforms." - but I can not
find anything for Oracle 10g and know this parameter did work in Oracle
9i UNIX databases.

We are running Oracle 10.2.0.2 on release 11.11 of HP-UX - 64 bit O/S
and Oracle binaries.

According to the note, we can create a protocol.ora file in $TNS_ADMIN
and add an entry to the file, but I can not find whether this still
applies to Oracle 10g.

Does anyone have hands on with this to know if it really works for an
Oracle 10g databases?

(Background - we were told by SAP to implement this parameter for our
application servers in order to reduce certain response time delays
application servers would experience when communicating with the
database server.  We are now trying to help some performance woes for a
third party application with an architecture similar to SAP.)

Thanks in advance.

Bill Johnson

From Metalink note 71921.1...

1. TCP.NODELAY parameter

   This parameter may be added to the PROTOCOL.ORA file in the
   NETWORK\ADMIN directory.

   In most cases, TCP/IP data sent across the network is buffered until
at
   least a complete network packet can be send. This means that in
certain
   cases, commands are not issued directly, and kept buffered until some
other
   data can be sent as well. This has the potential to generate
time-outs and
   errors. To avoid this, the delay can be switched off.

   tcp.nodelay = yes