RE: sys.sys_temp* tables caveats (9.2.0.6)

  • From: cosmin ioan <cosmini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 08:57:03 -0800 (PST)

hello gentlemen,
  I've run across many instances where, whether I'm doing a dbms_stats or just
convoluted queries using inline views (pretty awesome time savings! there)
the engine simply creates sys.sys_temp* tables.

  Of course, it would create a tremendous number of them, based on the
operations, the number of users, etc....   I think this is bound to be
problematic at times, not to mention slow, for inserting to disk.

  I was wondering if there are additional pitfalls (or ora error messages) that
one should be aware when seeing such temp tables creation;

  I'm suspecting that probably, the easiest way to avoid this would be to
increase some memory areas  ... hash or sort area sizes, if I'm not mistaken.
??

  any recommendations/thoughts for this issue, within an OLTP environment?

  thx much,
  Cosmin