storing blobs in database

  • From: Jeff Chirco <JChirco@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 18:47:54 +0000

We are working on an application that will store images, well actualy pdf's in
our database.  We are debating on storing the blobs in our main production
database or creating a separate database just for these images.  We have
applications running on our main production database that will need to pull
these across to display.    I am thinking a second database is the best idea
since this database will get rather large very quickly and I don't want to slow
down the backup of my main production database.  Does anybody else do something
similar to this and can provide your experiences.   We are running 11.2.0.2
Enterprise Edition on Windows Server 20003 R2, soon to be 2008.
Thanks.