stored_outlines

  • From: "Fedock, John (KAM.RHQ)" <John.Fedock@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 14:52:14 -0500

I am having trouble using stored outlines.  I have created an outline and I can
see it in DBA_OUTLINES and see the plan in DBA_OUTLINE_HINTS.  When attempting
to run the stored_outline, I do an "alter session set used_stored_outlines =
true".  When I then run the statement it takes longer than it should. I can see
in v$sql that the outline_category = 'DEFAULT' for the statement I just ran.

If I then set "alter session set used_stored_outlines = false", the statement
runs great.  This leads to me beleive that the stored_outline is using the
wrong hint.  The correct explain plan uses BITMAP CONVERSIONS.  If I look at
the hint column in DBA_OUTLINE_HINTS, I do not see BITMAP CONVERSIONS anywhere.

So my questions are:
1. Is the HINT column in dba_outline_hints = to the explain plan that is run
every time the SQL statement is run?  (I assume it is).  If so, why are the
HINTS not equal to the explain plan that is shown when the statement is run?
2. Does the stored_outline need a HINT to be valid?  I just want to maintain
the current plan (without hints).

Any experience with this?

TIA.

John