Re: stipe size

  • From: Mladen Gogala <mladen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 09:52:11 -0500

On 02/20/2004 09:40:21 AM, Ruth Gramolini wrote:
> Good morning all,
> We just installed a new fast disk farm with fiber channels.  For production
> we are using raid 10.  My SA set in up with a stipe size of 64K based on the
> size of most of the transactions.  He wants to know if this will be OK.  I
> don't know so I told him I would ask the experts.  What do you think?

This will guarantee parallelization of all I/O requests larger then 64k.
Whether it's OK or not, depends on your average I/O size (sar is irreplacible
for this) and whether you have hot disks or not. Also, RAID configurations
usually have caches. Caches, in turn, come in two garden varieties: writhe back
and write thru. Impact of a good write-back cache must not be underestimated,
because it can speed up your commits and checkpoints for an order of magnitude.