Re: spfile help needed

  • From: Fuad Arshad <fuadar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 12:58:49 -0700 (PDT)

i'm not sure how you can say that the audit file_dest is not modifiable here is
an example
SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.4.0 - Production on Thu May 20 14:52:24 2004
Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation.  All rights reserved.
Connected to:
Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.4.0 - Production
With the Partitioning and Oracle Data Mining options
JServer Release 9.2.0.4.0 - Production
SQL>  alter system set AUDIT_FILE_DEST ='/usr/local/oracle/log' scope=spfile;
System altered.
SQL>

This works perfectly fine on an spfile environemtn also the spfile will take
affect after the first bounce of creating  the spfile form pfile

also reset also works
SQL> SQL> alter system reset timed_statistics scope=spfile sid='*';
System altered.

"Martin, Alan (Contractor) (DLIS)" <Alan.S.Martin@xxxxxxx> wrote:
The docs say that once an spfile is generated, all changes to the DB
parameters occur via "ALTER SYSTEM SET
= [comment] [scope]
[sid]", and the pfile is out of the loop. Based on my observations, please
comment on the following:
1) Is it true that immediately after "create spfile from pfile", the spfile
is not actually used until the first bounce?

Using an spfile or the old pfile, trying to ALTER SYSTEM on AUDIT_FILE_DEST
yields:
ORA-02095: specified initialization parameter cannot be modified.

2) Does this mean you must first "create pfile from spfile", edit the pfile,
and then recreate the spfile?

3) Since AUDIT_FILE_DEST is not system modifiable, why doesn't "alter system
set AUDIT_FILE_DEST = '' scope=spfile" work? That would avoid having
to perform (2) above.

4) Has anyone had any luck using "ALTER SYSTEM RESET
"?
alter system reset timed_statistics
*
ERROR at line 1: