Re: single session I/O bandwidth

  • From: Kevin Closson <ora_kclosson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 10:04:27 -0700 (PDT)

not if it is in the buffered path..if buffered then OS block readahead will
kick in.

If you want to know what Oracle can do with storage, use Oracle. Not synthetic
I/O tools like dd. (not preaching at you here, Noons. Just reminding the list)

http://kevinclosson.wordpress.com/2013/03/03/my-oaktable-world-2012-video-session-is-now-online/

I monitored this thread and only one participant chimed in on the real problem
which is CPU. Oracle can do I/O without burning CPU with CALIBRATE. Any other
method for driving physical I/O will burn CPU. Even count(*) has memory loads
of the block hear to get the slot count. If not parallel, even a count(*) will
be CPU-bound.