RE: _row_cr setting in RAC

  • From: Scott <oraracdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Amir.Hameed@xxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, racdba-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 08:29:39 -0800 (PST)

Amir, In Oracle9i Release 2, the Row CR feature can
partially alleviate the overhead of the global block
cleanout/rollback problem. The Row CR feature will
reduce the number of CR rollbacks and avoid a costly
block cleanout/rollback in a RAC environment. Instead
of performing a block cleanout, Row CR will only
attempt to generate a CR version for the particular
row. Currently, Row CR works for UPDATE statements
that have a Unique Index Scan or Fetch by Row ID in
the row source. Whenever there is a Fetch by Unique
Index row source in the execution plan, that causes CR
cleanout / rollback, Row CR will kick in. The
statistic Row CR attempts essentially measures the
number of updates that have this property that cause
CR cleanout or rollbacks to happen. The statistic Row
CR hits measures the success ratio of Row CR among the
attempts made. Oracle10g and beyond this feature
should extend for index range scans, as well as
further optimize cleanout processing.

To extend Row CR functionality, the hidden parameter
_row_cr needs to be set to TRUE (default is FALSE).
Row CR will be tried before invoking CR Rollback. The
parameter can be changed dynamically, by using ALTER
SYSTEM. Currently, Row CR is turned on only for
Updates whose plan is Unique Scans or Fetch by Row ID.
No other operation gets Row CR. When setting the
_row_cr parameter to TRUE, Row CR will be attempted
for ALL SQL (this will include Updates, Selects,
Deletes and Joins) that have a Fetch By Unique Index
OR a Fetch BY Row ID row source in the row source
tree.

This parameter has benefited several bugs, however
this is unsupported functionality. Consider setting
_row_cr=TRUE if majority are immediate CR cleanouts

Scott

http://mail.yahoo.com