RE: rman duplex

  • From: "David" <thump@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Ruth Gramolini" <rgramolini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 13:10:07 -0800 (PST)

I would hope backing up via rman to disk would be faster than going to
tape.   ;)

Have you tried the duplex option at all?
I'm wondering if the overall speed to complete is gated by the slowest
device or if the operations are independant in that regard.

If you use OS commands to go to tape, then you have to involve the SA's,
no...where as if you used rman to go to disk and tape, then they would not
be needed.  Recovery  would just specifiy which device to restore from?

For restoring from recent time(time that backupset is on disk), we would
restore from disk...otherwise tape.

Also, if you use non rman commands to copy to tape, then you have to have
the files restored from tape to disk and then use rman to
restore/recdoiver from disk to disk...versus tape to actual db location on
disk.

We also need to plan for conurrent recoveries - worst case.
--
..
David